I know very well, it is bad enough my daughter has anorexia. Finally, when we discover about her problem we could try to help her. His doctor recommended her to start with Marinol therapy. I am a little bit worried now because I have found out it contains cannabis. What if she addict to Marinol, is that possible at all?

First, to say that patients receiving Marinol should be specially warranted not driving and engaging any hazardous activity. She should take care at least until she establishes that she is able to tolerated this drug. I see you have heard something about this drug, but I guess that is not enough to understand it well. Marinol is possible to be abused and addicted, because that is one of compounds present in cannabis. Anyway, you have to understand it has been seen only after prolonged high dose. Psychological and physiological dependence have been noted in health persons taking Marinol, but that happens rare. Chronic abuse of cannabis and Marinol has been associated with decrements in motivation, cognition, judgment and perception. For now, the etiology is unknown, but might be associated with the complex process of addiction rather then isolated effect of this drug. There was no decrement when Marinol has been used and associated with therapeutic purposes. I think you should not be worried for now, because I believe her physician knows what he is doing.

Don't WORRY! Cannabis is not addictive! Geesh, the total ignorance due to the "war on drugs" never ceases to amaze me. Your daughters physician has the right idea in prescribing marinol as its active ingredient is THC, THE ingredient found in cannabis that makes a person feel its effects, one of which is an increase in appetitie. THC does work in appetite stimulation, however if you don't live in California your daughters physician cannot legally prescribe cannabis and has to prescribe marinol instead. Your daughter should be smoking or eating cannabis rather than taking marinol as the marinol is much stronger and since you have to take it as a pill you cannot regulate its effects. If your daughter was smoking cannabis she could take only a puff or two if that's all she needed of the THC to stimulate her appetite, but taking the marinol she's much more likely to have the psychological effects high doses of THC can cause. However, rest assured she CANNOT PHYSICALLY become addicted to either marinol or cannabis. Maybe take your daughter to California for her treatment so that she can get real cannabis prescribed by a real Dr.