Hello, I would like to ask something about my mother’s condition. She had a pituitary gland tumor and it was related with growth hormone. It was a big problem, and there were some growth problems among other. I am pregnant now and I would like to know if some genetic defects can be the cause of pituitary tumor?

There are many different causes and factors that might lead to the occurring of pituitary gland tumor. Definite cause is not yet determined, which goes for the majority of both benign and malign tumors. But there are certain factors for different tumors that might increase the risk of developing a tumor. As for the genetic defect, it is possible that it might be the cause of this problem, but that happens in a very small percentage of the cases.

Hi there,
I am not really sure if there is any genetic connection when it comes to pituitary tumors. The tumor can cause many problems because pituitary gland is responsible for balance of other hormones in your body. Among other things I think that it is also responsible for your growth. What kind of treatment did your mother use for this condition? I know that many doctors suggest surgery to remove the tumor growth on your pituitary gland. The fact is that some tumors can be cancerous as well. Did she have any radiation therapy? I know that this therapy is used to shrink the tumor so the surgery will be more effective. I hope this helped.
All the best,
Danella

vickie98 wrote:

Depending on fthe family history, she can be seen by a genetic counselor and assess for the possibiltiy of the MEN1 gene. Known to cause pituitary tumors, parathyroid tumors and pancreatic islet cell tumors.