I have heard that tumors of the adrenal glands are rare. Anyway, I know when adrenal gland tumor is present it can cause a multitude of disorders. I believe this is caused by excessively secreting certain adrenal-produced hormones. I read that one type of tumor of the adrenal glands is called a pheochromocytoma. Can you tell me more about adrenal gland tumors?

First, I want to tell you what kind of adrenal gland tumor pheochromocytoma is. That benign adrenal gland tumor secretes epinephrine and nor-epinephrine hormones. These hormones are responsible for regulating heart rate and blood pressure. Off course, that function is important, among some other functions of adrenal gland. Pheochromocytomas occur most frequently in young to middle-aged adults. The most common symptom of pheochromocytoma is high blood pressure, which is sometimes extreme, and very noticeable. Each individual may experience symptoms differently that are caused with the same adrenal gland tumor. Some other symptoms may include rapid pulse, palpitations, headache, nausea, and vomiting. In addition to a complete medical history and medical examination, diagnostic procedures for pheochromocytoma may include blood and urine tests to measure hormone levels. Computed tomography is able to detect any abnormalities that may not show up on an ordinary x-ray caused by adrenal gland tumor.