Hello. I have a friend who is sick. We were very close back in the 90s, we worked together, we shared the same office. Then I moved to LA and I was there for 6 years. Now we got in touch again, our mutual friend got us all together.

I talked to him and he seemed great. Later that night he told me he was diagnosed with single ventricle heart defect and that he had to have a surgery. He wasn’t in the mood to talk about it so I didn’t ask much.

Can someone tell me something more about this defect and how many types of single ventricle heart defects are there?

Hi Stradivarius,

I came across this defect a few years ago. A friend of my ex girlfriend had it and then my girlfriend and I did a little research about it.

If I remember well, there are three different types of single ventricle heart defect.

The first one is Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome (HLHS), it's an underdeveloped left side of the heart.

The second one is Pulmonary Atresia/Intact Ventricular Septum - The pulmonary valve does not exist, and the only blood receiving oxygen is the blood that is diverted to the lungs through openings that normally close during development.

The third one is Tricuspid Atresia, there is no tricuspid valve in the heart so blood cannot flow from the body into the heart in the normal way. 

Hi you two,

I believe that Health n Joy is right, there are three types of single ventricle heart defects, and they are called exactly like she wrote, hypoplasatic left heart syndrome or HLHS, pulmonary atresia or intact ventricular septum and tricuspid atresia.

Now, single ventricle heart defects are rare disorders affecting one lower chamber of the heart. The chamber may be smaller, underdeveloped, or missing a valve. I don't think that these conditions are deadly, but they appear to be quite boring. The person with one of these defects will require lifelong follow-up by a cardiologist for repeated checks of how his heart is working.

Hi everyone,

Well, there are three types of single ventricle heart defects, and I happen to have one of them. I have pulmonary atresia so I can tell you a bit more about it.

In pulmonary atresia, no pulmonary valve exists. Blood can't flow from the right ventricle into the pulmonary artery and on to the lungs. The right ventricle and tricuspid valve are often poorly developed. Temporary treatment included a drug to keep the PDA from closing. A surgeon created a shunt between my aorta and the pulmonary artery and that helped to increase blood flow to the lungs.

Now I have to use some medications for the rest of my life, too.

Good day guys.

I believe that this is very rare disorder that is affecting your lower chamber of the heart and the chamber can be smaller, underdeveloped or even missing the valve.

My friend had this second type – pulmonary atresia and that happens when the pulmonary valve does not exist and the only blood receiving oxygen is the blood that is diverted to the lungs through openings that normally close during the development.

I know only for this one but I need to tell you that I am glad to find out those other two types :)

Have a nice day..

Good day everyone.

I know that a single ventricle is a congenital heart defect that occurs due to abnormal development of the fetal heart during the first eight weeks of pregnancy.

I know that this is a totally different experience from that that you have asked in here, but I know that his happened to my cousin and that is why I do know a little bit about this. There are so many types of single ventricles including double inlet left ventricle, hypoplastic left heart syndrome, mitral atresia, etc.

That is what I know and I hope that this can be helpful…

Good luck.

Hey guys.

I was always interested in this topic but for some reason I have never posted this topic in here. Now when I am reading all your posts, I am a little bit familiar with all of these defects. A little, not a lot.

Well, the main thing because I want to know this is because my friend told me that she has “second” ventricle heart defects and I don’t even know what this was. When I asked her she was really nervous. I don't know why, but since that day I always wanted to know more about this.

So, I just want to thank you.

Good day everyone. The meaning of single ventricle heart defect is purposely non – specific. It is usually used to describe a group of cardiac defects that may differ quite dramatically from each other, but they can also share the common feature that only one of the two ventricles is of adequate functional size. There are some anomalies that are familiar and they are described as single ventricle defects. Well, when we are talking about it they include: tricuspid atresia, hyoplastic left heart syndrome, many of the heterotaxy defects, etc. So, I am not so sure what your friend was thinking when she said – second!

Hey all of you.

My friend had hypoplastic left heart syndrome. In this case the heart’s left side, including the aorta, aortic valve, left ventricle and mitral valve is undeveloped.

In most of people the cause is still unknown.

In this case, the blood returns from the lungs and it must flow through an opening in the wall between the atria. Now, the right ventricle pumps the blood into the pulmonary artery and blood reaches the aorta through a patent ductus arteriosus.

This is very complicated for me to understand but I am still trying.

Have a  nice day! Bye

Good day all of you.

My friend’s kid is 11 years old and he has this tricuspid atresia heart defect. When you have this condition there is no tricuspid valve so blood can’t flow from the right atrium tot the right ventricle. So as a result of this, the right ventricle is small and in this case it is not full developed.

I know that this condition is very dangerous and I do know that his kid has a lot of different procedures. They need to be extremely careful even if this kid is feeling ok.

Trust me, I don’t know how I would be able to handle this.