Hi everyone,

Almost whenever I've heard that a person had an any sort of heart disease, they said that they found out by having an echocardiogram test. I was always wondering what is this test since it can detect bunch of these heart diseases, it must be some pretty much awesome machine and it is probably worth a thousands.

Okay, I don't want to get into that, I was just expressing my interest in echocardiogram test. What I really wanted to ask you is if anyone knows what types of heart diseases can be seen on this echocardiogram test and how long does it last to do?

Hi Bee,

Echocardiography (echo) shows the size, structure, and movement of various parts of your heart. These parts include the heart valves, the septum (the wall separating the right and left heart chambers), and the walls of the heart chambers. Doppler ultrasound shows the movement of blood through your heart.

Doctors do use this test to find out if a person has heart diseases or any heart problems, but not just for that. It is used for a lot of more things, stuff like guide or determine next steps for treatment, monitor changes and improvement or to determine the need for more tests.

Hi Bee,

Usually, the doctor may recommend echocardiography (echo) if you have signs or symptoms of heart problems.

For example, shortness of breath and swelling in the legs are possible signs of heart failure. Heart failure is a condition in which your heart can't pump enough oxygen-rich blood to meet your body's needs. Echo can show how well your heart is pumping blood.

Echo also can help your doctor find the cause of abnormal heart sounds, such as heart murmurs. Heart murmurs are extra or unusual sounds heard during the heartbeat. Some heart murmurs are harmless, while others are signs of heart problems.

Well, basically, I think echocardiogram can show literally all of heart problems or all heart diseases. The only thing that it cannot show is that sometimes some sort of a heart disease can have one or more very similar types, and echocardiogram can't show which of these types of this heart disease does a person have.

But like they told you already, not only is it used for determining if a person has any heart problems, it is also used for a lot of other stuff like seeing what type of treatment is right for this person. It is indeed a very useful test.

I'm going to have one in two days so I'll see what I can find out. From what I've been able to find out it's about like the ultrasound they do to see a baby. I have no special instructions before going other than where to park my car.

I had a stress test last Monday that stretched into Tuesday. I was lucky to have the nurse who assisted turn out to be an acquaintance from rehab 20 years ago so we had plenty to talk about. She kept saying "it will pass" while looking at the panic in my eyes when I couldn't breathe. She did an EKG first that was normal then she watched the screen during the stress test and said it looks good. Two sessions with the camera that rotates over you for 20 minutes. One right after the test and another one the next day after the juice they put in me wore off.

They didn't find anything wrong so now I'm going back for an echo cardiogram.

I saw the cardiologist 2 days ago and found out just how screwed up the doctors group is. I thought he ordered the stress tests but he didn't even know I had them. I told him and he left the room to try to find out about that. Geeze, at least at the VA whoever is looking at me has my complete records in front of them on the computer. This doctors group is kind of like the blob that absorbed most of the private practice doctors in town since it's inception and those who survived were killed off by Obamacare a couple years ago so I had to go to them.

This guy started off by not even knowing that I had bypass surgery 20 years ago which is why my primary care doctor in his group got me the appointment with him. It was his office that scheduled the stress tests. When I told him I had 6x bypass 20 years ago he told me I should be dead by now. After pissing me off with that he told me the stress tests showed my heart was pumping fine, beating strong and regular, had no damage and my arteries were what they should be for my age. So I guess he's just looking harder to find something wrong with the echo job.

Hi there.
This is classical heart test.
Tests is given to you and this is the best case for your doctor to find out more information about the condition of your heart and can help you find out which treatment(s) may be best for you. An electrocardiograph is the most common test for heart conditions. An electrocardiograph machine records your heart's rhythm onto paper through sticky electrodes which are placed on your chest, arms and legs. The recording will show if the heart muscle is damaged or short of oxygen.
It can easily tell you are you dealing with arrhythmia, tachycardia or some other issue.

Hello there. Echocardiogram is a test that uses ultrasound to evaluate your heart muscle and heart valves. There are a couple of things why your doctor can perform an echocardiogram. He can do it because of the assess the overall function of your heart, also thanks to it he can determine the presence of many heart diseases such as tachycardia, arrhythmia, valves, palpitations, strokes, etc. Also, when your doctor determines that you are dealing with some of the heart diseases, he can very easily follow the progress of those heart valve disease over the time. It is also good because it can help him determine the effectiveness of medical or some surgical treatment.

Good day there. When I felt that my heart is skipping for the first time, I knew that something is not OK with it. I was very tired while I am running or something else. So I saw that this is not a situation that I should joke with and I decided to visit my doctor. I told him how I feel and he told me that I should have this holter for 24 hours. I said yes, of course. So after 24 hours, I went to see him and he told me immediately what is going on. Well, I have arrhythmia and that was the main thing that bothers my heart. I wish that it was only arrhythmia...