Hello everyone,

I've been talking to my friend who went to work in Australia yesterday. Apparently, she had some issues with her heart and she decided to go and get it checked out. The doctors there told her that she has heart failure. She was shocked because she actually didn't expect to have any condition, she was thinking of it just as of a routine control.

Now, we don't know anything about this matter. I was hoping that some of you here might know something about it. I'm specially interested to know about symptoms and treatment options, so I can share what I find out with her.

Hi Bee,

I can tell you about some symptoms of this condition but please keep in mind that not all of the people have these symptoms, and nobody doesn't have all of them, that's for sure.

Symptoms of heart failure include shortness of breath when you exert yourself or when you lie down, fatigue, nausea, weakness, swelling in your legs, feet and ankles, rapid or irregular heartbeat, reduced ability to exercise, increased need to urinate at night, swelling of your abdomen, lack of appetite, difficulty concentrating and chest pain if your heart failure is caused by a heart attack.

I hope that your friend is going to be okay.

Hi Stradivarius,

Thank you for your reply. I have already shared this with her and she told me that she does have some of the symptoms that you wrote above. She is feeling weak most of the time and she does have fatigue and nausea, as well as shortness of breath. She told me to thank you on her behalf.

Now that you already told me about the symptoms, is there anyone else who would happen to know about treatment options for people with heart failure? I was thinking that there have to be some medications that she could use or maybe a surgery is needed?

Hello Bee and Stradivarius,

You are right Bee, you can treat this matter with different types of medicines, however, these medicines must be taken then every single day for the rest of your friend's life. But they can help, that's for sure. These medicines include beta blockers, diuretics, inotropes, and others.

When it comes to surgery, she has a few options here like coronary bypass surgery, heart valve repair or replacement, implantable cardioverter defibrillators, cardiac resynchronization therapy, heart pumps, and heart transplant. I would always rather recommend a surgery than medications but if her condition isn't that bad, she can try with meds first.

Hello again,

I see, Adria. I talked to my friend again today. She told me that she didn't have time to see her doctor again these days because she has a lot of work to do, they are moving the office where she works so she is helping, but she is definitely going to see her doctor.

We talked only for a minute or two because like I said, she is very busy but I'm going to tell her what you wrote here, no doubt about that. I'll also tell you if I find out anything new. Thank you again for your replies.

Hi there. Beta blockers are definitely number one .Everyone will tell you this. But my mom will tell you that angiotensin – converting enzyme inhibitors are the best.  Those are the drugs or medications actually who can help people with systolic heart failure live longer and feel much, much better. ACE inhibitors are actually a type of vasodilator, a drug that widens blood vessels to lower blood pressure. It is helpful because it improve blood flow and decrease the workload on the heart. A lot of doctors will recommend you this and I do believe that they are good as beta blockers as well.

Good day there. There are several symptoms, but the most common signs and symptoms of heart failure are: shortness of breath or trouble breathing, Fatigue or tiredness, swelling in the ankles, feet, legs, abdomen, and your veins in the neck. All of these symptoms that you are having are probably the result of fluid buildup in your body. When symptoms start, you may feel tired and short of breath after routine physical effort, like climbing stairs. As your heart grows weaker, symptoms get worse. And if those symptoms are worse than you are at big problem. Consult your doctor about it. Good luck.

Good day everyone.

You know what was the first sing that I am having heart issues or heart failure problem? When I had a really huge trouble to breath. That is what happened. That is how I found out that I am dealing with some heart issues so I didn't hesitate and I went to see the cardiologist immediately. My doc told me that this is the first warring sing and that it can be treated usually wit beta blockers. I was refusing to use beta blockers, but what could I do when things become really bad? So I am using it now...

Hello there.

I forget to mention that early diagnose is the most important thing. Beside treatment options with beta blockers or some other medications, your doctor probably will recommend you a very healthy, heart – healthy eating plan. In many cases that eating plan usually includes: fat – free or low – fat dairy products such as slim milk, fish because it is high in omega – 3 fatty acids (eat salmon, tuna, etc), fruits, apples, bananas, oranges, vegetables (broccoli and cabbage is necessary), whole grains (so eat oatmeal, brown rice, corn, etc.).

That is also one way to prevent it. Enjoy. I hope that it is helpful.