I have a cousin with non-stop problems occurring all the time. Now he told me his son has similar problem as he used to have. Umbilical granuloma occurred now while his son is still a baby. This disorder sound scary to me, so I would like to hear more about it, as much as you could tell me. Can you help me to understand what umbilical granuloma means?

An umbilical granuloma occurs where the inflammatory process at the umbilicus becomes florid. It is common with excess granulation tissue preventing the raw area from developing new epithelial tissue. The usual process after the umbilical cord has been severed and tied is for the small remnant. The chronic inflammation at the line of demarcation is then quickly covered by epithelium, as a process of umbilical granuloma. Interruption of this is commonly occur because of infection that patient gets. The patient presents with a pouting umbilicus surmounted by a bright red, moist, friable, sometimes hemispherical mass. As the name says, it could be also and granulation tissue. This condition is similar to the pyogenic granuloma seen in other parts of the skin. I hope you could realize until now that umbilical granuloma is a small piece of bright red, moist flesh that remains in the umbilicus after cord separation. It is commonly seen case where it is a small piece of scar tissue, usually on a stalk, that did not become normally. Very, rarely, in umbilical granuloma, about 3 in a million babies, the cord continues to ooze a clear fluid despite the apparent healing of the cord stump.