My daughter is 5 and has huge tonsils but no problems with strep or any throat pain. Her problem is her breathing while sleeping. She tries to breath through her nose at night and cant get enough air and gasps for breath through her mouth. I dont think it is sleep apnea but am having her tested for it. I have a rare bleeding disorder so I dont want her to have surgery if not totally necessary. Does anyone have a child with similar breathing at night?

My 7 year old had similar problems becuase of enlarged tonsils. He also had constant headaches and nosebleeds. Both of which the ENT attributed to his tonsils and adenoids. He are now 6 days post op and the surgery went well. He even was able to eat on day 2. It seems though that some of the problems are getting worse instead of better as the days go on. I'm anxious to see if the surgery truely does solve these problems. So far the sleeping has been much worse as he's encountered a lot of pain and what appears to be night terrors since the surgery.

I am here as an adult having them out for the 2nd time BUT....

My neighbor had her 8 yr old daughters out due to sleep apnea problems and snoring and she no longer snores or wakes up tired. She had them out this summer and doesn't regret it abit!!

I had the same problem. My 5-year-old daughter was complaining about the pain and doctor told me that he believes that it is time for that she goes to surgery. She is really little and I was reading so much about the experience of others and all of them were in pain. Even the older people were in pain after their tonsils and adenoids were taken out. So, I don't know what to do. I am scared for her because she is a little girl and I don't know how to explain to her that she will be OK, that this pain will go away. Should I seek another opinion? 

My kiddo had his tonsils and adenoids out when he was 5. They were enlarged and causing him to have sleep apnea. He did have some continued snoring and restlessness when he was recovering, probably due to a swollen uvula. That went away after a few days. He hasn't had problems since (he is 9 now), sleeps well, is well rested when he gets up.

My son was doing exactly the same thing at night wile trying to sleep (tries to breath through his nose at night and cant get enough air and gasps for breath through his mouth) he sniffles and cries and its so difficult to be of no help to him no matter what I try. We went to the ENT specialist and they looked at his tonsils but they were normal....he told me that they usually go hand in hand... if one was ok they most likely both are....I insisted he check the adenoids and they were "extremely large". Today we had them both removed and it is very painful to see the recovery process but they said this will fix the problem. we will see in a few days...

My 5 year old son was doing exactly the same thing at night wile trying to sleep (tries to breath through his nose at night and cant get enough air and gasps for breath through his mouth) he sniffles and cries and its so difficult to be of no help to him no matter what I try. It also seems to be worst during cold months (im guessing fom the heater or blankets, the summer he can sleep in underwear and it helps.) and anytime he gets hot. Also he has to sleep with a fan on his face all the time. We went to the ENT specialist and they looked at his tonsils but they were normal....he told me that they usually go hand in hand... if one was ok they most likely both are....I insisted he check the adenoids and they were "extremely large". Today we had them both removed and it is very painful to see the recovery process but they said this will fix the problem. we will see in a few days...

I posted a reply on 9/22, the day of my son's tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy. The first day was by far the worst. he did not want to drink, drink, or take is pain medicine at all for 12 days, we basically had to force it. the doctor gave him vicodin but it gave him headaches about 2 hours after him taking it. it was better than the pain in the throat though. the first week my son continued to snore but has not snored once other than the very faint snore (can barely hear) and only on occasion. The doctor said he would probably sleep a lot on the med but he only slept the first day for most of the day off and on and the next day he was up all day, would not even take a nap in the middle of the day (I was not going to make him either). The 3rd day, he ate very little but some solid (soft) food. I think I paged the doctor every time my son blinked an eye, once at 4:30am. The doctor always called me back, even refilled the vicodin, and helped me through every step. finally on the 12th day my son spit up a soft, off white piece of something that looked like a piece of chewing gum that had been chewed for 5 days straight and it smelled like death (of course I called the doctor for that). The doc said it was normal but not always happens. Also beware of the breath, The doc warned me before hand but about the third day the breath could knock you out in 5 seconds flat (the smell). The things that helped was lots of water (try warm or lukewarm), soup (the second day he had cream of chicken and chicken noodle), an 80 mile round trip to toys-r-us (ont the fifth day), a ton of new toys, and all of a sudden he started to want to be rocked to sleep (wich he still is asking me to do 21 days later. Ohh would DEFINATELY do all over again.........dont wait. my son can breath again. He also thanked myself and his mommy for taking them out the very first day because he could breathe better and this was his second surgery this year...(first one had to take out a pyogenic granuloma out of his head). he also doesn't wake up sniffling anymore at all. Good luck and remember for all of those looking into this it will be over before you know it, you wont get much sleep at first and will try everything to help but it will be better for the child.