I would like to know more about organ gallbladder. My father has stones in it and it is giving him quite trouble. I want to know what the main function of gallbladder is.

The gallbladder is a small pear-shaped organ situated under the liver in the upper right part of the abdomen and it stores bile. Bile is a liquid produced by the liver, and then released into the intestine to help digestion. The gallbladder or cholecyst stores about 50 ml of bile until the body needs it for digestion. This organ is connected to the liver and the duodenum by the biliary. The gallbladder has an epithelial lining characterized by recesses which are pouches inside the lining. There is a layer of connective tissue under the epithelium, followed by a muscular wall. Up to 25% of all people have gallstones or cholelithiasis. These stones are composed of cholesterol, lecithin and bile acids. These stones can cause shooting abdominal pain. This is usually in relation with the meal, as the gallbladder contracts and gallstones pass through the bile duct. The most common treatment for gallstones is removal of the gallbladder or cholecystectomy.