Hi, I have a five months old daughter. I took care of her umbilical cord stump like the doctor told me to. After few weeks it dried and fell of and my daughter's belly button was just perfect. In the last couple of days I have noticed that the belly button has turned red with a little discharge coming out of it. Can you tell me what is wrong with my daughter? Is there some way I could help her?

Hi, I understand that you are very concerned about your daughter. When my first child was born I used to watch him while he slept just to make sure that everything was fine. I am sure that you followed your doctor's orders about umbilical cord stump hygiene because your daughter's belly button was fine in the first couple of months. There is a condition called umbilical granuloma that can cause the baby's belly button to turn red and lumpy, but it appears because the belly button heals more slowly than expected. However, since you daughter's belly button did heal well I am positive that this is not the reason for her belly button to turn red. I would suggest that you take your daughter to the doctor's office because the red belly button can be a sign of an infection that will need professional help.