I have red colored bumps on my hand. It seems that it is disorder called generalized Granuloma Annulare. It took them a long time before they set this diagnoses. I never heard of this disorder or knew anyone who had it. What it is?

Generalized Granuloma Annulare is a subdivision of the disorder Granuloma annulare. As well as Localized G.A, Perforating G.A., Linear G. A. and Subcutaneous G. A. disorders. It is a chronic degenerative skin disorder, but the most common form is localized granuloma annulare. It is characterized by the presence of small, firm red or yellow colored bumps. They look like nodules or papules that appear arranged in a ring on the skin. The sizes of the lesions range from 1-5 centimeters mostly. Commonly affected sites are the feet, hands, and fingers and the lesions usually disappear without treatment. It is called spontaneous remission, although t the lesions often reappear. However, the exact cause of granuloma annulare is not known.

In answer to Mary's message about the granuloma annulare on her hands, I suffered the same condition some years ago for about 3 years. They covered both my hands and was told by the dermatologists that there was no known cause and no known cure, except possibly treatment with cortisone injections. I decided it must be an allergy to something and spent 8 months of elimination of different food items, giving each item a month to see if there was any change, and only after 8 months when I gave up decaffinated coffee was there a change and the condition cleared up in about 3 days and has never appeared since and that was 10 years ago! I hope this little bit of info helps you.

I had small red mark for long time , just thought i burned it in oven never though much about it but it has gotton bigger and then another one and now another one starting I also started to drinking more Decfinated coffee and now I have 3 rings .. I will try with out decaf coffee and see if your right I hope so . . My Doctor also said it will just go away by itself one day .all the pages I read on this topic also said it can go away and can come back anytime . also read before you become diabetic you can get them as in an early sign . I hope not ...

I was diagnosed with GA in 1998.  Tried all kinds of treatments and nothing worked.  I would have varying degrees of redness and bumps, but it was always there.  My lesions were on the outside of my upper arms so I never wanted to wear anything sleeveless.

To make a long story short; about 2 months ago I caught some kind of cold virus and had that for about 3 weeks.  In the meantime I was not eating as I regularly would and I totally stopped drinking COFFEE which I normally drank 1 or 2 cups in the morning every morning.  Well, after a while I noticed the bumps had gone flat but the discoloration was still there.  I have not had a cup of coffee since then and the GA is all but gone.  I notice a couple of small spots, but they are not new and I expect as my body exfoliates the skin cells that any discoloration will totally fade.  I can hardly believe that one item could make the difference.  Is it possible that when the coffee beans are processed, etc., that they use some ingredient that I could be allergic to?  Who knows.....I don't have any allergies at all, but have never been tested for such. 

I have always watched my fat intake and I do eat a lot of low-fat dairy so it can't be that.  I am drinking tea now instead of coffee, but not every day.  I still eat wheat products, so I honestly believe it is the Coffee (regular).  Never drank Decaf. 

Hope this helps some of you.

I wish it was that easy. I don't drink decaf. I have it on both of my hands, and although they said it could possibly itch, my granuloma hurts when bumped. I have never thought about an allergy, but you may be on to something. It seems as where the Dr did the biopsy on the one hand, it seems to be going away, but the left hand, there is another spot. It looks like ringworm so a professional manicure is not in the cards. I do not want to have cortisone injections because of the side affects and my hands are continually in water, so the cream would be challenging. Maybe further looking into my diet will be the solution.

I am a manicurist and have a four inch circle on one hand. Two one inch and one quarter inch circle on the other. I have to explain it to every client and show them a pamphlet from the doctor. It sucks.