I've been having this unexplained pain in my quadriceps (rectus femoris - to be more specific) that when I press around it I feel a couple small lumps that hurt.. and if I massage the spot(s) I feel relief there. I don't think I've torn a muscle tissue or if I have strained my muscle. Here is a summary of my symptoms:

* Pain in the quad (rectus femoris) muscle when I press.
* Sense of relief when I massage it.
* Pain (sometimes dull, sometimes sharp) in my rectus femoris when I sit on chair for longer period of time
* Pain in my inner and outer part of the quad (gracilis and vastus lateralis).
* Kind of a cold feeling sometimes around the quad.

I tried using a roller to flatten the muscle in case it's a muscle knot but it doesn't seem to help much. It give me some pain when I roll it on top of the main affected area in my quad. I gave my leg quite bit of rest for the last month or so and I massage the affected area once in awhile, but the problem doesn't go away and even I think it's getting worse. So, I'm not sure what's happening with my leg and how to recover.

Does anyone know what the problem could be and what I should do?

Thanks,
Siyan