I have been running for over 6 years and never had any problems.
I developed some knee pain/ achilies tendon pain during marathon training, and stupidly pushed thru it. After the race went to the dr. and got a Methanol? steriod pack, Its been 16 days since, and I still can not run, even the elipitical makes my knee tight and hurts. I have an appointment next monday for a follow up and he said if knee was still hurting a cortisone shot. From what I have read that might not be a good idea,
any really experienced runners have any idea? Thanks

Hi Supermom,

Often knee pain is actually coming from tight quadriceps. This is because the quad muscles merge into the patella tendon and cross over the kneecap, inserting into the front of the shinbone. When the quads get tight they pull up on the tendon, putting pressure on the knee joint and actually pulling the kneecap in the direction of the tight muscle.

As the kneecap is being pulled and tension is being put on the insertion which is just below the knee, your entire knee is pulled in different directions. You can see why this would hurt a lot. A shot in the joint isn't really doing the trick, it's just masking the pain so you think you're okay.

I suggest you take a dowel (clothes closet pole) and while sitting, put the dowel at the very top of your thigh. Press down and slide (don't roll, it's less effective) down toward your knee. You'll go over a big bump about half-way down your thigh. The bump will hurt, and it's actually the spasm that is putting the pressure on your knee. Press on it for a minute or so and then continue the slide.

The AT pain is something different although it can be related. If the iliopsoas (an anterior low back muscle) is tight (often is in runners -- and anyone who sits for long periods of time) it will rotate your pelvis forward and down. This causes the quads to have to shorten or they are too long to do their job (straightening your leg from a bent position). Also, the rotated pelvis is now pressing into the sciatic nerve and the impinged nerve is sending a message to the hamstrings and calf muscles to go into a spasm. Your feet can even get involved in this one!