Hi, a few months ago I have decided to try to start living a healthy life. That did not include only proper eating but working out as well. Every day I spend at least one hour jogging. Few days ago, while I was running in the park, a problem occurred. I felt a sharp pain in the back lower part of my leg. This pain is still present. My friend told me that I could have injured my calf muscle. What can you tell me about calf muscle injury?

Hi, calf muscle is located at the back of the lower leg. It consists of the Gastrocnemius, which is the bigger part of calf muscle, and Soleus, which is under the Gastrocnemius. According to the symptoms you described, the sharp pain, you might have strained a part of the calf muscle. You should place ice bags on it, rest and start compressing the muscle. However, a visit to the doctor is essential. He is the only one who can determine the type of your injury and the right course of treatment. Most likely he will prescribe an anti-inflammatory medicine. Usually, ultrasound treatment is also used for this kind of injury, massage and a full rehabilitation program are necessary if it is a serious calf muscle injury.