i'm not sure, but i think i've found out what has been ailing me these past 18 months. i had a deep tissue (sports-type) massage today and, after describing my symptoms of pain, this therapist isolated that butt muscle and rubbed the snot out of it.

i had to use lamaze breathing but damn, did it feel good. i actually feel 10 lbs lighter and so less stiff. it was instant relief. i just hope it lasts.

i have had right hamstring tightness and nagging pain for months due to a leg length diff. i have seen orthopedic MDs with NO help. according to her, i need to release the built up lactic acid in that muscle as it is now torqued all out of line. .

if anyone has had nagging hamstring pain maybe this is the cause for you. it was really getting to be a downer for me, i hope this works---my orthopedic "surgeon" and sports medicine specialist can now BITEME.

RR, I know exactly how you feel. I have suffered from piriformis syndrome since jan. I now go to my massage therapist once every 3 weeks. I have been doing some serious stretching after each run and now I am doing pretty good. I highly recommend a massage to anyone that is having muscle related problems.

This is also some what similar to Iliolumbar syndrome. The leg length is a tell tale sign if it is the same as the pain side. That being the longer leg!
I was involved in an auto accident and suffered multiple right hip and lower back injuries. Took 5 years to fully sort out. The Iliolumbar does not show on normal neurology testing. Another words it passes! It is treated by injections of Marcaine and Gluecose. A series of shots which only cause an injury to the legiment to get your immune system to heal it. It works! If not treated it puts strain on L4 & L5 and eventually will incapacitate the patient. As I say this was only one of my problems, which was corrected. I still have a bad piriformis and input sensor nerve injury at L5 level. These by the way have been Isolated and proven! I am afraid non of the other has worked for me. I am being approved for a spinal stimulator hopefully. This is by a University Physician. Who is also a University teaching physician. I had access to the VA also. A real Bummer! They say if you want the best see a teaching physician. By the way I would recommend UCLA in Los Angeles, CA. They do MR Neurography a 3D MRI and the Director of Neurosurgery is a Dr. Nador Pouratian who is kind of a specilist in this field.