hey all...thanks for reading. Obviously am new to this.
Background:
played 16 years of soccer....ran track.
Got a career started...a family started and stopped running!!
I love running. So, I started back up again 2 weeks ago. 3 miles@35 minutes or so, 3-4 days a week. Running on New Balance. I feel fine....can breathe fine HOWEVER, laetly, my calves are killing me and twice now my right foot has gone almost numb....tingly feeling. You know wehn you have worked out or something and you flex your calf muscle....that is what is feels like at 4-7 minutes into the run...I don't get it. ....oh...sorry...I'm 30, 5' 7" 165 or so. (a bit out of shape) any help or input would be appreciated...thanks

Welcome! :wavey: Couple things. Are the shoes new and are you sure that is the right type shoe for your foot? Are they tied too tight? The tingly numb feeling makes me think something like that. Are you stretching the calves?

Thanks for the reply.
First: No. my shoes are not to tight.
Second: Somewhat. My shoes are somewhat new to running. I have worn them a bit before, just not running.
Third: Good question. I am not so sure that these are the right shoe for my foot. I have always worn athletic shoes....but never really sat down w/someone and asked if these were appropriate. I just don't have that much faith in the "sales" people anymore.

Me either unless it is a good running store. Try to find one and give it a shot. Shoe fit/type is always the place to start. :D

What kind of surfaces are you running on? If you say cement sidewalks, I'm gonna do this.. :duh:

Agreed. Find a local running specialty store in your area (maybe two and visit them both). Have them fit you and figure out what sort of shoe is best for you

well fellow runners....
it appears that although I thought my NB were not too tight, the shoe fitter did say that they were to narrow. Stability wise they are ok....I did buy the insert cusion and took out the flimsy existing ones. This was just to make some use out the money already spent on these.
So, it seems like I will be investing in the "appropriate" pair of NB for my feet.
Also, they did say it could also be "too much too early" as well that contributed to the sore calves. I need to ice them over and not "overstretch" them as I may have done unknowingly.
NB 857 is the shoe I am getting.....
oh...I am running on concrete sidewalks. thanks for all the replies.

i've learned improper stretching can really be worse than no stretching at all....

try rubbing your calf muscles out before you run and then again after you run, before that stretch and after the stretch. if you have any sort of muscle spasms in there and you're stretching on top of it, you're just gonna get microtears and the muscle will not lengthen at all.

it's hard to explain but you can use your opposing kneecap as the massage tool. from a seated position in a chair, legs parallel and out in front of you, raise one leg and cross it over the other so that the calf of the affected leg is resting on the kneecap of your "other" leg. move the affected leg up and down over your knee cap, from the achilles tendon up to the knee joint. repeat on the other leg. do 12 passes on each leg, up to 5 times a day. it may help with a calf problem, assuming the pain is originating in this muscle.

i also agree with the "too much too soon" theory. scale back a little until you feel no pain at all.

good luck!