Hi, i was just wondering if someone might now.. when i press near my left temple, i feel a very strong pain. Not right at the temple but just next to it as you move your fingers to the back of your head. I only noticed a few days ago when i was feeling tired, i rubbed my temples and around that area and found that one part was very tender and in pain. I dont have any other strong symptoms of anything else.

Any ideas?

I have the same pain. Its been there for a few weeks. I've had migraines for the past 20 years, but since I've been having accupuncture treatments and taking Chinese herbs, my migraines have decreased and I actually haven't had a migraine in a month? However, I do have this pain, like a bruise, only when I press that spot. Not on the right side, only the left. I'm thinking of getting a CT scan when I go in to see my doctor for my yearly. Have you found out what is causing your problem?

Hi!
Just thought I'd let you all know who might have unexplained migraines, and tenderness in the temple areas that it might be TMJ. After 10 years of suffering from migraines, and tenderness- I got an MRI and it showed severe TMJ. My jaw had slipped out of the socket on one side. I never knew it was causing migraines 2 times a week. I had to begin taking Depakote to control them - which did work. Also I try and massage my jaw muscles, in front of my ears and in the temple area with a massage roller ball . Works great to prevent the muscles from spasming, and causing migraines. Hope this helps. After many doctors failed to figure out the cause, my Chiropractor was the one who sent me to get MRI thinking it might be my jaw. She was right. Good luck to all of you who battle migraines- it's a tough thing to go through.

Hi I wanted to make a comment that I have been dealing with the same pain as well and a friend googled it and found you guys.
I have fibromylagia and one of the symptoms/issues can be TMJ. I have been experiencing the left temple pain. It's liek a bruise that won't go away kind of pain. If in fact the pain is caused by TMJ then another question to ask your doctor is about fibro because headaches are also a symptom.

I'm so glad I found this post. I have been having the same weird pain, like tenderness or a bruise, on my left temple. I had no idea what it could be. I've been suffering from mild sinus issues for quite awhile and was thinking they might be related. I've also had migrans for about 20 years but they have never really been that intense- I can take advil and control the headache. I haven't had any migrains though for months. I have been getting some other headaches though that I attibute to my sinus issues. They are generally localized behind one of my eyebrows- sometimes they cause almost a burning sensation behind my eye. If I take a musinex it goes away. Sometimes those headaches make me feel nausious.

I have had this same temple pain for about a month.   I googled my symptoms and found this site.  The TMJ theory sounds logical for me.  I know I already had TMJ because I clench and my jaw started cracking about 5 years ago.  Like I said, I just discovered the temple pain about a month ago.  I rubbed my temple when I was stressed and it felt like a bruise.  It hasn't gone away since then, so I have become increasingly worried.  Thanks for all those who contributed to this site.

I have the exact same bruise like pain in my left temple for the last month. I'm happy to read others have the same issue going on and on the same side. Must be muscle related or TMJ related. Bi can't even brush my hair without pain there. I have no insurance and we are unemployed so I can't go to the doctor right now. Thanks for sharing.

Hmm, I've had the pain for 3 weeks or more. The pain is on the lower part of my temple above the top of my cheekbone. Googled for obvious reasons and found this site. My jaw does shift making a popping noise only when I yawn...was thinking the pain might be related...although the pain in the temple area is on the opposite side of the cracking jaw.

I have the same thing but on the right side of my head. Im thinking it might be from stress (since my yr 12 exams are in 2 days)? I just noticed it today when i went to massage my temples. It feels like a bruise (hurts when i press it), and i dont remember hitting my head recently, so now im really worried. :S

When I press on my left temple it hurts only when I press on it sometimes I get pain over my left eye but it goes away This just started recently Feb I had open heart surgery and I am taking pills
could the pills I am taking causing it

Have you been checked to make sure it is not temporal ateritis? It is very important to be sure that you don't have that.

i am in the same boat, i actually lost my job because of this terrible pain in my temples and top of my head, my doctor thinks it is because of stress causing my neck and finger muscles in the scalp to tighten up, i take motrin 800 and flexeral , but they do nothing, i did not have these problems till i went to the chiropractor!

While cruising the web, I found this blog.  I have from time to time pain nd what feels like inflamation on both side sof my head above the Temple area.  I do have chronic sinus infections and sinus conditions.  I was told by the ENT doctor that sinus's do NOT cause this.  It probably stems from teeth Grinding at night.  I also have 3 bulging disks in my neck C3 the worst.  That causes shoulder pain and stiffness in the neck and shoulders.  I THINK THE ENT DOCTOR IS WRONG.  When I experience this gnawing pain in the temples, it does affect my eyesight and ususally it is with Sinus congestion.  I just read on another site, that the sinuses couls contribute to this condition.  My dentist also insists that the tempral pain is from teeth frinding which inflames the ligaments in the skull in that area.  he suggested a Night Teeth Guard.  I haven't tried that either.  IMO, I think it is probably a combination of the disks in the neck, teeth grinding, and sinus inflamation.  

It might be cluster headches. Check it out with your doctor

I also recently have started the same painful tenderness in the right temple area, but it is also on the right side of my head, as well. I sleep with a bite guard at night for teeth grinding. I wonder if it could be TMJ or Fibromyalgia?