I am 51, for as long as I can remember I get these inner thigh spasms they come durring the night.
They are excruciating. Not the typical calf spasm..those are a piece of cake.
These spasms will wake you up! when you try to sit in bed, it tugs in the center of the inner thigh.

You can't stretch it because if you stretch it it tugs harder...dead center of the thigh.
if you walk it will tug hard..like its contracting pulses ...the same way it does at the calf but it hurts deep in the bone,
like your flesh and muscle are being twisted into a hard knot.

you can't sit because it will tug some more..nothing helps and no Doctor knows what it is.. I have been to many
they all think I'm just making it up. I can feel a slight sensation when I may have one and usually I am right.
No amount of quinine or electrolyte or excersice or heating pad makes it go away.
You'd think that at this point and time in the world..we can put a land rover on Mars..but can't figure out an inner thigh spasm is
and why it only happens to some people and not all!

I have been at a loss with this to the point where I have turned to drugs hardcore drugs to knock me out at night! Some people talk about night terrors..these are the real ones!

Have you tried massage therapy to relax your muscles? An electrical muscle stimulator (EMS) may help tone your muscles so that they won't cramp up at night.

I suspect that this would be helpful although I am not entirely sure if I'm thinking of the same thing you're thinking of. Can you tell me a little more about an electrical muscle stimulator? Thanks!

An electrical muscle stimulator is a low current, high voltage unit that sends electricity to the muscle where a pair of electrodes are attached. This causes the muscle to contract followed by a period of relaxation (passive muscle contraction). I bought two portable units for rehab purpose. It is also great for leg cramps. Portable units sell for as little as $40 online. Best4health.net has a Pain News section that describes in more detail its efficacy.

well... I don't know if anyone will see this or not... I stumbled upon the website a few hours ago and printed most of the testimonials in an exchange that began 5/25/07 and ended 5/10/09 (SteadyHealth Community Home > Gastrointestinal Disorders > Undiagnosed Abdominal Pain) to show others I am not crazy (but how I wish I were, or this was just a bad dream... but it is not...)

I have always had a high tolerance for pain... these excruciating "cramps" located in my inner thigh(s) is off the charts, however... my wife is an R.N. and her methodical 1-10 pain listing elicits a "30" from me... there is simply NO WAY to adequately convey the agony I feel when writhing on the floor... yesterday morning I actually began crying as the pain would not go away for about 15 minutes... I considered ending it permanently... it was that bad... I NEVER understood how a physical pain could lead to weeping... I do now...

in the aforementioned 2-year exchange many offered 'possible' cures/coping methods... and there seemed to be some commonalities among the sufferers (but not enough to firmy declare the cause(s) of this most agonizing condition..

my first bout began 4 weeks ago... I "normally" sleep in a comfortable recliner to avoid back problems and elected to try sleeping in my bed with my wife... at about 3 a.m. I awoke in shocked disbelief at the terrible cramping in my inner thigh (right side)... I was yelling and my wife was "shoooshing me" as she told me to do this/do that etc... but this was no muscle cramp I could envision... as a football player and hiker I have experienced cramps before... they hurt, yes... but they pass... this was WAY BEYOND a "muscle cramp"... and as a homeowner who regularly mows a 1/2 acre hillside lawn with a 'walk-behind' mower and literally wrings a litre of sweat from 6-8 sweatbands doing so, I know about hydration/dehydration... I easily consume 2 gallons of liquids on those summer days in the mountains... this was not a "cramp"... and I prayed with the religious fervor I possessed as a child that this would never happen again...

but it did...

a week or so later it struck me while seated at a meeting (thankfully it passed within 10 seconds)... and at home another week later it hit me twice... both times as I stood up from the recliner to use the restroom... BAM! I was down on the floor writhing (my family was all on vacation in Canada and I was alone in the house)... I don't know how to figure how long these events last, but I will estimate 4-8 minutes?? then it hit me again last night about 4 a.m. and I was in AGONY in the downstairs den... I was too frightened to use the recliner after that and sat here at the computer and fell asleep for another 2-3 hours... I went upstairs as i heard my wife and dog stirring and sat with her to watch "Sunday Morning"... I told her about the episode and drifted to sleep... she was just leaving for a walk with the dog when I awakened 1 1/2 hours later and I arose to get ready to join her and BAM! I was down on the floor writhing in front of her... but this time it was not abating! I could not believe what was happeing... and she had no basis for understanding my agony... and after maybe 10-12 minutes I began weeping... not the sniffles, mind you... just flat-out, uncontrollable weeping... I hoped I would just pass out...

throughout the day I have struggled to find the cause of these episodes and it seems to be related to a sharp pain in my lumbar area... we thought maybe sitting in the recliner "in an awkward position" may have caused the lumbar spine/ to slip out of alignment... my wife took out her medical referece books and showed me the L2/L3 vertebrae and how the neural impulse is transmitted to the two areas on my inner thigh... so I will visit a chiropractor tomorrow a.m. and see if an adjustment will relieve the cramps... I drew a black "X" on the two points on my thigh where it is still so painful from the "cramping"... if I touch these points I can feel a corresponding pain in my lumbar area , so maybe it is something as simple as that... I hope so... but I fear that the lumbar abnormality was a result of my writhing, not the cause...

I am 59 yrs old... 260 lbs... good heart... blood sugar usually under 100 even 1 hr after a meal (fasting blood sugar usually under 90)

here are some changes in my life in the past 2 months that may play a role in the sudden appearence of the terrible inner thigh cramping"

* I stopped using opioids and began "Suboxone" teatment at VA about 5 days ago... I drink Milk of Mag every day to avoid terrible constipation (yes, that causes a lot of water to be expelled, but I drink at least 80 oz of water PLUS additional sodas every day)...

* I pretty much stopped drinking coffee every morning about 45 days ago...

* I take Rx for hypertension (Micardis), cholesterol (Lipitor), allergies (Advair, albuterol, Singulair, Flonase (nasal inhaler), Zyrtec), depression (Welbutrin) and OTC supplements (Saw Palmetto, Omega Oils, 5-Hour Energy (B-Vitamins (massive B-6 and B-12 dosages) and Nicorette Gum)...

* I had such difficulty swallowing about 30 days ago (same time as cramping began) that I underwent a esophogeal (?) exam to ensure my tube was OK (it was, but they found that I had scarring from reflux and I began taking Nexxium...

* I have asthma, mild hypertension, and about 2 weeks after Suboxone regiman began I developed a 'tic' causing me to violently tighten my neck muscles (to the point where I sometimes feel I am going to 'snap' my neck...

So there's my story... none of these Rx are "new" except Nexxium... I've been using them for years...

maybe it has something to do with having a mostly liquid diet these past 3-4 weeks?? I lost 17 lbs in 20 days since my swallowing difficult started... or because I ceased milk (not dairy, though... I still eat yogurt and cheese)... or because i essentially stopped coffee? (but i drink diet sodas with caffeine and I actually had coffee daily these past 4-5 days and my worst cramping was yesterday...

I just don't know... but I wish those who posted all those exchanges in 2007-2009 would read this and respond... if for no other reason than to know others are out there...

Allen,

You are not alone! Five years ago, I bought a Harley Davidson Motorcycle, and learned how to ride. Shortly after regular riding, I started to get the most horrible pain in the inner thighs....I swear that I could feel the blood moving up the veins into my crotch area. I tried the heating pad, ice packs, massage, stretching, and chiropractic. I have gone for a ultra-sound on my veins, cause I'm afraid of dropping dead. My dad had the same thing, and he did drop dead of a massive heart attack. Anyway, I had never in my life had one of these pains. At first, they were sporatic, lasting 5 minutes, only in my thighs. It was usually after a long ride, or alot of grass cutting, so I would take a potassium tablet. In the last 3 days, I have had several-so painful, that I have had very little sleep. They now last anywhere from 5-45 minutes. Now, I will get it in one thigh, and in the outer calf of the opposite leg. Then it goes to the other foot, where my toes curl, and the bad is so horrific in the thigh, that I have trouble walking. Friday night was so bad, that I took 3 potassium tabs, and it didn't help. I am up all night, walking around. Plus, I have noticed that the following day, I feel that I have had the c**p beat out of me, it hurts so bad. My next step is a doplar, and hopefully they can find something. Otherwise, I am going to visit a medical massuese my husband discovered, and go from there. Maybe even find someone who works with homeopathic regimins. Good Luck to you, and if you find anything out, please post!

I have the very same pain. I have had a 3 level fusion w/ instruments.. L3 to S1. They had to take instruments out because of fluid behind them. I still have fluid and the most awfull muscel spams. My sacarealiatic joints are also bad. I'm on a very high dose of pains and these still wake me up at night. Forget strecting that makes if worse. I have to walk until they quit. Since my surgery, my colon has fallen and now I'm getting really sharp pains in my lower front body. My doctor says there is nothing he can do for me. I'm in worse shape than I was before my surgery.

Hey butch (1957 is my year),

I just had a colonoscopy and scope done 2 weeks ago, and I talked to the nurses about the spasms. They told me to take B vitamins. I take a multi-vitamin every day, and for several years, took 100 mg of B6, and 1,000 mg of B12. I stopped for quite awhile, cause I'm always nauseous in the morning, and I thought it was too much vitamins. I started taking them again, and knock on wood, I haven't had a one!! It wouldn't hurt to try it.

Good luck to you.

I have had exactly the same kind of thigh cramps, sometimes in both thighs at the same time, but usually only in one. What has helped me is drinking even a small 8 oz. bottle of tonic water with quinine before going to bed. A nurse suggested that, and it has worked for me! I have also noticed that I am more likely to have the cramps after eating sweets. I wonder if anyone else has noticed that.

Teree, you are most assuredly not alone. I am sitting at the computer after suffering the exact same thing at 3 AM. After much searching I was finally referred to a neurologist who did a mylogram to determine nerve damage. My cramping seems to be a direct result of spinal stenosis and a a bulging disc in my back impinging on the nerve root. I can go months without any "cramps" and then with no warning they start again. I was prescribed Baclofen and it does help. Sometimes I am afraid to go to sleep in bed because I just know the cramps will hit. If I sleep in the recliner with legs up I can sleep and have never had a cramp when I do this. It is very hard to describe the excruciating pain we have and how it can literally bring you to your knees sweating and grimacing in pain! The only thing I find is no matter how much it hurts you have to try and walk. Walking seems to shorten the duration of the spasm. It slowly starts to let up and then it will hit again hard but keep walking. The way I look at it is it's going to hurt anyway so trying to walk is not too hard of an option. I hope some of this will help you and I wish you luck.

Wow. I am glad I stumbled (no pun intended) upon this site. I have been plagued with these inner thigh spasms for years 99% on my right thigh. I ALWAYS experience the pain when I wake and I swing my legs over the bed to get up - that is when the spams occur. And yes, it is some of the most excruciating pain I have ever had. One time the event was so intense that I had bruising on the inside of my leg.

An orthopedist told me the pain was due to arthritis in my hip. Once in a while I will get the same cramping in my left thigh. This morning was the morning to end all, both thighs started cramping at the same time. As many of you have stated, the pain was so intense, you don't know what to do. Normally I will grap a plastic band, wrap around the bottom of my foot and try to strech. It sometimes works; other times it does not. I am quite over weight (which does not help). I am on a lot of meds that other contributors have mentioned. I do have bulging discs as well.

It seems the common denominator may be bulging discs since I never know what sets this pain off. I am just glad I am not alone; many have thought I was crazy.

Wow, talk about communal ESP. In response to Allen's comments and Mark's (plus all others), I too just found the discussion stream from 2007-2009 early this morning at 3:00am due to waking up with the exact same situation. I have been getting these ungodly intense spasms/cramps in my inner thighs that can the hit my calves and even make my foot/feet 'curl' in distortion for the last 10-12 years. These 'cramps' are so intense that I can end up screaming and have scared the living daylights out of friends and family. It feels like something is actually tearing the muscle off the bone, it is so intense and deep. I cannot move or walk. If I have to walk, I actually have to use my hands to move the affected leg, it is so bad, because the leg will not work. So ditto to all descriptions above and ditto to the ones in 2007-2009.

These spasms are not 'normal' cramps or charlie horses, they cannot be walked off, stretched off, massaged off, or anything. So I do not care what 'they' (the medical profession says). I also have disk damage in multiple areas on my spine due to an auto accident in 2001. I have had EMGs, and MRIs. None of the doctors I have seen have clue to the what I am describing......they just do not understand or 'get it'. I am thrilled to find I am not crazy, alone, or abnormal. The neurologists and neuro-surgeons both state that it is not sciaticia or spinal related. hmmmmmm

The only thing that works for me is that I have a prescription for 'Fiorinal with codine' that I was originally prescribed for migraines by the Mayo Clinic, , way back in the 70's (I am ancient, lol). Fiorinal #3 contains: 30 mg codeine, 50 mg butalbital, 40 mg caffeine, and 325 mg aspirin. This medication has been around for decades and was originally designed for tension headaches. It has muscle relaxing capability plus a opioid for pain. It comes in capsules. This med does come in generic form which is way cheaper than the brand. Unfortunately, the generic does not work for me. You can Google it. BTW, most doctors have never heard of it, due to it being developed soooooo many years ago.

When I get one of these night horror spasms/cramps, I grab one or two from the bottle that ALWAYS sits sits right by my bed, just for that purpose. To help it work faster, I bite the capsule to help release the medicine. It is the only thing that really works. Within a few minutes or less, the pain is totally gone, since it is block at the brain level. I can still sense the muscle contractions in the thigh, but I am not longer clutching my leg, paralysed from the intense pain, screaming, or tears running down my face. Check with your doctor about a prescription, but beware, if not used cautiously it can be addictive, like any other med in this catagory. I hope that 'they' will find a cause soon and a PREVENTION, because that would be so much better than even having to deal with it. I hope this helps y'all to deal with this awful affliction!

Hello all,

Yes, I am new to this site and am posting because I too have just had a bout of inner thigh cramp!! Wow, what a painful thing, cold sweats, nausea and feeling faint..... I can tell you that it not only scared the living daylights out of me but also my 11 year old daughter who could only watch through tears of horror as her dad was in agony and was unable to help him.

I have always suffered from cramps to the rear of my upper leg (at long intervals) and have managed to get over them even though they have been very severe and normally happen during the night when I am in bed sometimes happening in both legs at the same time, but nothing prepares you for the pain when you get it in your inner thigh.

I remember getting a similar pain lasting for a few minutes in August 2009. I was in agony with sciatic pain starting in my back going through my left buttock and down my left leg. On this particular night I was lay on the bed after having a hot bath to try and alleviate the pain in my back. As I shifted my position to try and get more comfortable I felt a sharp agonising pain in my left leg. This pain went away after about 4 mins leaving a dull ache and I managed to get to sleep with my back and leg pain.

The next day the veins in my left inner thigh started to turn red and were warm to the touch. The next day after that they started to go warm and throb whenever I stood up so I went to the doctors for investigation. The doctor wasn't worried and gave me a cream to rub into the affected area. A week later the veins had gone hard from my knee to my groin so back to the doctors I went. This time it was a different doctor and immediately sent me to A&E (at this time I was extremely worried because I thought I may lose my leg). Luckily my cousin who is a sister at the A&E department was on duty and saw that the doctor quickly attended to me. I was made an appointment to see the Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT) clinic and had a scan on my affected leg and it turned out I had superficial thrombo phlebitis and was given antibiotics to help clear it up.

Two weeks later my back was very painful and I struggled to get out of bed (doctors say the best cure for a bad back is to carry on as normal........ easier said than done). I had another hot bath to try to reduce the pain in my back and an hour later my left calf began to really itch and had started to swell so much that I could barely bend my ankle. I felt like my leg was going to burst and decided to go back to A&E. By this time because I couldnt bend my ankle I was unable to drive because I couldn't operate the clutch pedal and had to take a taxi. The doctors examined me and started to treat me for cellulitis and sent me home with antibiotics to clear up the infection. Two days later I was back at A&E with a calf which had swelled from 37 cm to 49 cm and the pain was unbearable so they started to treat me with Fragmin and because the DVT clinic was closed for the weekend I had to go back to A&E for the fragmin injections on saturday and sunday with an early appointment on monday at the DVT clinic. I had another scan on my leg and was told that the clot in my superficial veins had tracked into my deep vein so I was started on Warfarin straight away and have been on them sice september 2009. I am on the higher dose and my desired INR range is 3-4. I have seen my hematologist and she was reluctant to take me off the warfrin after six months and kept me on them for twelve months. I saw her again and she said she would like to keep me on them for a further six months and I go back to see her again in march. I don't know whether she will keep me on them or not but I had to go back for another scan just before christmas because of pains in my leg again.

This bout of cramp tonight worries me that I may have damaged the veins in my leg again, I know it couldn't be as bad as last time because of the warfarin making my blood less sticky reducing the chances of superficial thrombo phlebitis recurring but it doesn't stop me from worrying as it was a dark period in my life that I could do without revisiting.

After reading a couple of posts on this subject tonight backpain could be the cause for my leg spasms so I will be phoning my gp to see if she can arrange an MRI scan to try and pinpoint the reason for my aching back. I have had physiotherapy, accupuncture and even attended a spinal rehabilitation clinic but the backpain is still there niggling me like an unwanted visitor......

Thanks for reading, I feel sleep coming on now so I will grab it with both hands.....

Regards, mick......

Just had cramp again, this time at the back of my left leg......... Hurt like mad..

I thought I was the only one out there with severe thigh cramps. They are the worst thing in the world. My husband doesnt understand how painful they are and when I get them I scream out in pain and cry. I get them at night only and they come on when I am sound asleep. I have a hard time walking cause the pain is so bad. I got shower head that you can take down and I have to spray my legs with hot water to get them to stop. Sometimes I get them in both legs like I did tonight and tonight they were the worse cramps yet that did not want to stop. So here I am researching leg cramps and I came across this site for remedys for leg cramps and I found a location near me that sells it so tomorrow morning I am going to go get it..I read the testimonals and the people swear by the stuff and says it works in seconds sometime in a minute. Its called Stop Leg and foot cramps in about 1 minute. Its all natural. I work 10 hr shifts lifting and walking on cement floors so I think this might be whats causing my leg cramps. I have been to my doctor and she gave me potassium pills cause mine was low and I still have the severe leg cramps and sometimes one starts and then the other one kicks in. I sleep with 2 heating pads on my legs and this always doesnt help. So If anyone has anything that helps these painful cramps please let me know. I will try the stuff I mentioned above and let you know if it works...thanks