I’ve found Valtrex pills in my son’s cupboard while I was cleaning up. What are those pills, what is the possible reason for taking them - can it be something very serious? I’d really appreciate any additional Valtrex info.

Valtrex is a drug which mainly consists of a substance called acyclovir and the main reason for taking it is the fight with herpes, either genital or facial. This is a prescription only drug, which means that your son (if we suppose that he is the one who is taking the pills) went to see a doctor. Valtrex is believed to help in healing existing sores as well as in reducing the number of herpes outbreaks and the risk of spreading the virus. Valtrex must be taken in accordance with the doctor’s instructions. It works best if used up to 72 hours after the first sign of herpes outbreak and it is taken five to seven days. It is not advisable to stop the treatment if the condition improves earlier - all pills prescribed should be taken in order to beat the infection completely. Herpes is not curable, so your son will occasionally have to take Valtrex or something else to fight it. Valtrex can cause side effects such as nausea, headache, trembling, vomiting and your son should inform doctor about them. However, an allergic reaction is possible during taking Valtrex and it is symptomized by swelling of the face and difficulties in breathing. This calls for an immediate break in taking Valtrex and doctor’s help.