Hi! My father got shingles yesterday. We have a neighbor who studies medicine and he diagnosed the shingles himself. He said it is caused by herpes virus which my father got as a child when he had varicella. He also told us that Valtrex is very good in treatment of herpes virus outbreaks especially shingles. Since my father doesn't want to visit his doctor can I buy Valterx over the counter?

Hi! Although your neighbor studies medicine I don’t think he is the right person to ask for an opinion. Your father has to visit his doctor. This is the first thing to do when someone is sick. Valtrex is an antiviral drug used in treatment of genital herpes, shingles, and cold sores. You should take it only when prescribed by your doctor. Actually, you don't know for sure if your father has shingles. Giving him Valtrex, without visiting his doctor first, can create possible danger to his health.

I actually have the same question. A friend of my twin sister's who is an EMT at a local hospital also diagnosed my bubbly rash as shingles which I already suspected since I had seen it on my sister five years earlier. I also did the research on three separate medical websites and all confirm the same thing. I was prescribed Valtrex but I have no insurance and cannot go to a doctor (they charge an arm and a leg down in here) and I really wanted to know if Valtrex can be purchased over the counter. Any help in this matter would be very much appreciated.

your father is being STUBURN you need to drag him to the doctor and no you can not buy the valtrex over the counter

I was able to buy valtrex online (without a prescription) for a cheaper cost.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use