Hi! A friend of mine has been suffering from genital herpes for two years. This is very difficult and stressful and I am always giving him my support. We talk a lot about his illness and yesterday we discussed if acyclovir works just as well as valacyclovir in preventing transmission. We had opposite meanings, so I am asking you the same question.

Hi there! Valacyclovir is commonly known as Valtrex and Acyclovir as Zovirax. Both are used against herpes viruses - treatment of Herpes Zoster (shingles), Genital Herpes and Cold Sores (Herpes Labialis). You should know that they are not the cure for genital herpes. It is not known if Zovirax or Valtrex can prevent transmission to other and you should be aware that it is possible to spread genital herpes even with safe sex practice. The mentioned medicines will of course lower the virus possibility for multiplying and used daily with safer sex practice they will lower the transmission chances. It is important not to have sex if your friend has any of the herpes symptoms and you should always use condom.

What if an uninfected person is taking acyclovir could it prevent the Herpes virus from infecting their body? Based on how they drug works(blocking DNA etc), If both partners are taking the virus would this improve the uninfected person's chances any more than if only the infected person were taking the drug?