Has anyone with epilepsy experienced weight gain that is just unreal? My daughter who is now 16 was diagnosed at 14 1/2. She weighed about 140 when diagnosed and now is 180. I'm told she can't get overheated, but needs to get out and go walking or bikeriding. Just get excersize. But with the weather in Illinois it only allows for nice spring days or fall days. Her weight slows her down and also ends up overheating quickly. She's tired and her ability to focus is quite shot. She doesnt eat alot, but still gains weight. Is anyone going through this? I'm getting an appt. with her neurologist to try just the Topamax in a hire dosage form. I know this is also suppose to be a major weight loss pill. I'm just so upset with her regular doctor. He says he doesn't know what to do and maybe I should just (not in so many words) cut her eating habits back and get her outside. I think its something deeper than that.

Hi I have been on topamax for 5 yrs now..I Lost 20 lbs right at the beginning..and thats it . i Leveled out and have been at 145 ever since..It causes you to have a bigger appetite sometimes..But Just make sure she is eating right (meaning healthy)..and exrcises as well..thats so important while taking these types of drugs, Because they are different for everyone. STAY away from Junkfood   ;)

Take care and good luck with everything..

and just wanted to add, that i do have epilepsy...Im also on Neurontin as well.  Its difficult to deal with and Im very sorry your daughter is going thru this and you as well (of course). If you dont mind me asking, how old is she now?

I was put on ZONISAMIDE for mirgraines and since I have been on it I have gained 20 pounds in about 5 months. I had weight loss surgery and had lost over 130 lbs and was maintaining my weight for 2 years and since I started taking this medicine POW!! I didn't know where the weight was coming from. I have an apt with my Dr next week and I am going to have her take me off of it. I don't get enough benefits to warrant the weight gain. So you are not alone.

I hate ZONISAMIDE I have grained 501lbs I lost a lot of weight also then was put on ZONISAMIDE yes it helps with Seizure but I HATE this weight I was on lamictal LOVED it but bad rash,