Hi, folks. My friend was diagnosed systemic sclerosis. I know that he had some changes on his skin, but also he has some problems with joints. I would really like to know something more about the symptoms of the systemic sclerosis. Can anyone help me with this? I would appreciate it. Bye!

Hello. Scleroderma can be localized or systemic. Since you have asked for systemic, I will tell you about it. Joints can be affected, so one can expect pain and later stiffness. Digestive symptoms are also very common. They vary from impaired swallowing to poor absorption of nutrients. Movement of intestines and bowels is compromised. One can also experience skin changes. Sores over joints are possible such as over elbow or knuckles. Numbness, pain or color changes due to emotional stress or cold can appear. This is also known as Raynaud’s phenomenon. I hope this helps.