Hi, good people. My friend is suspected to have systemic sclerosis, but his doctor is not sure. I suppose he will have to run some tests. I would like to know how systemic sclerosis is diagnosed. Does anyone know this? I would really appreciate all your help with this. Thank you.

Hello. Systemic disease is a rare disease. It is also difficult for diagnosing. It mostly affects skin and joints and can be easily mixed with other diseases. Physical examination is very important here. He must examine skin changes and connective tissue under thoroughly. He also must pay attention to a possible Raynaud’s phenomenon. Doctor may order blood test to see whether certain antibodies are elevated. He can also send a tissue sample to be viewed under microscope. Lungs, gastrointestinal and heart complications must be viewed as well. Was this helpful?