Hi, folks. My friend has injured himself and he is hospitalized just in case. Doctors are afraid he might get tetanus. I would really like to know what the first symptoms would be of this kind of problem. Can anyone tell me this? I hope someone will know how to answer me. Thanks in advance.

Hello to you too. The incubation period may vary. It is a period between infection and fist symptoms. Two weeks can pass, but is between 5 and 15 weeks. The first symptom that usually appears is called trismus. It is the stiffness of the jaw with no availability of opening it. There can be pain or tingling in the place of inoculation. Nearby muscles can be in spasm. I hope this is helpful. Good luck!

Hello. Besides these first symptoms, there are some other symptoms that appear later. Spasm can appear in other parts of the body. It can affect neck, abdominal muscles and back. Swallowing can also be impaired. If respiratory muscles are affected, then asphyxia can appear. Patient is awake during the whole process. I hope we’ve helped here. Good luck with all! Bye!