Hello. My brother was found secondary Raynaud's phenomenon. I am not sure what can cause this. I know my brother is a smoker, but I don't know whether this has any relevance. What can you tell me about this? I will appreciate all the help you can give me. Thank you in advance.

Hello. Raynaud's phenomenon is a vasospastic disorder. It causes discoloration of fingers, toes and sometimes even extremities. The exact cause is unknown, but cold and emotional stress can trig it. Primary Raynaud's phenomenon is also known as Raynaud's disease. It appears without any visible cause. Secondary Raynaud's phenomenon is joined with certain diseases and conditions. Those are: scleroderma, rheumatoid arthritis, Sjogren's syndrome, systemic lupus, anorexia nervosa, Buerger's disease, etc. Some drugs can cause it such as ergotamine, beta blockers, sulfasalazine, etc. Some occupations have more tendency to develop it. I hope this helps.