well im only 16yrs old and i just recently went to doctor because i was sick for three weeks straight.. Like the first week i got the stomach flu and had to go to the er then the second time i got it again bout i didnt go back to the doctor i just fought it off. Then the three week i went to the doctor to see if i still had the stomach flu and i didnt i ended up having bronchitis...At first they thought i had appendcitis beacuse i was having sharp pain in my lower right side but i didnt...They found out that i have a urainary tract infection and that i had low white cells too. The they put me on meds for my bronchitis and for my urainary tract infection and for my low white cells.. They gave me promethazine for my bronchitis and tract infection and streghten pils for my white blood cells... They made me take the straghten pills for 10days and they wanted me to go back in Nov.23,2010 but my doctor wasn't going to be there so they rescheduled me to go in Dec.7,2010. Is there any chance that my white cells could still be low and something bad would happen to me??? Like i heard you could get cancer and i really dont want cancer at all. So can some tels me what could happen if my white cells are still low and if i could get cancer or a disease.. If i get a disease what disease would it be???

Hi there! White blood cells are the cells of the immune system. They protect the body against the foreign materials and infections. The normal count of white blood cells is 4,000-10,000/mm3. They have a short lifespan, ranging from a few days to a few weeks. These cells offer defensive properties to blood in order to fight against the infections and the invading foreign bodies such as bacteria and viruses. If number of leukocytes increases than the normal count, the condition is known as leukemia. If the white blood cell count is below normal, it is known as leukopenia. The reduction of all types of white blood cells is known as panleukopenia. When the white blood cell count is low, the body tends to catch the infection easily. Fever is the first indication of infection. The gastrointestinal system and bladder are the areas of potential infection. Hence, watch for the symptoms such as diarrhea, stomach cramps, rectal bleeding and urination problems. Mouth sores, sore gums or canker sores also indicate the decreased white blood cell count. Sore throat, cough, headache and sneezing are the signs of lung or sinus infection. Whenever you notice these symptoms, consult the doctor and if needed, have the blood test to determine the white cell count. I hope this will help you!