So.. I went to the doctors last week because I am bruising and bleeding very easily. He sent me for a fbc. Yesterday he told me that my white blood count was high (17000) and asked me whether I had any infection. I have had no infection. I asked why this would be and he said no reason to worry and we will test again. He gave me another blood test referral and asked me to do it again in 2 weeks. I am wondering was this doctor being nice because my kids were there? Do I have something to worry about? Should I see another doctor? This is going to be a long 2 weeks.

Hello Mel

A high white blood cell count usually indicates:

• An increased production of white blood cells to fight an infection
  • A reaction to a drug that increases white blood cell production
  • A disease of bone marrow, causing abnormally high production of white blood cells
  • An immune system disorder that increases white blood cell production
  • Liver Disease

There are other reasons too, suggest you take a second opinion and a complete diagnosis. If you are taking any medications which cause these symptoms, inform your doctors