Hello! I noticed few swollen lymph nodes a week ago. I feel them on the right side of my neck. They don’t hurt and they are not inflamed. I feel as usual, without fever or any other symptoms. Since I was concerned I went to see my doctor and he sent my blood sample to the laboratory. The results were normal, only my white blood cells were low. My doctor said I should not worry and that he would repeat the test in a week. Are my low white blood cells connected in any way with my lymph nodes?

Hello! Swollen lymph nodes are usually the sign of infection. They are important part of our immune system. They act as filters and fight bacteria and viruses that cause infections. Infections or inflammations usually cause increased white blood cells count, not decreased. Decreased white blood cells can result from many other different situations – presence of cytotoxic substances, collagen-vascular diseases, disease of the liver and spleen, etc…. Also, they are usually lower in the morning and higher in the evening and they are age-related. There are also many drugs which can cause decreased white blood cells counts. If your next test shows low white blood cells count again, your doctor will arrange further tests. This may be a sign of increased risk of various infections.

I keep getting swollen glads - I have been told I have low white blood cell count plus chronic viral infection - This problem has been going on for 4 years, at one time they thought I had Leukemia, then Hodekinson disease. I get lumps all over my body. The answer is always the same "You have a chronic viral infection and low white blood cell count, we do not know the name of the infection".
People always say how pale I look, My testicles hurt, lumps in my groin, swellings behind my ears, feeling sick all the time !

Does anybody have any ideas ? as my doctors dont