I was found to have a white blood cell count of 3.5. Doctor is referring me to a hematologist. What will I be tested for? I have no symptoms and take only atenolol for high blood pressure.

Well, I couldn’t say why exactly the doc sent you to a hematologist. Blood counts (reference values) may depend on factors like age, sex, test method, etc and different labs interpret things differently.
From what I know, the normal white blood count ranges from 4.0-10.5, and in that case we couldn’t say that you have extremely low count.
Since white blood cells fight infections, a decrease in their number could be indicating some sort of illness but considering you have only mild decrease, there shouldn’t be a problem.
Some of the possible causes are infections (including HIV), autoimmune diseases, chemotherapy drugs and even some antibiotics, but also bone marrow diseases. It happens often that the reason can’t be determined.