I have been having high blood pressure problems, for a long time I was over weighted and smoked a lot. I think that I got this condition because of that way of living. I have been to a doctor and has been prescribed with clonidine. What does that drug do? I would just like some info on the drug?

Clonidine is alpha blocker basically. By doing that it reduces high blood pressure. Other effects include relaxation of eye muscles, reducing sweating, nose dripping etc. As usual, there are side effects that should be mentioned, such as dizziness, drowsiness, nausea, tiredness etc. If symptoms of side effects become too frequent and intensive, you should consider stopping with the therapy.

The first blood pressure medication I took was clonidine. The primary appeal for me was it can in a transdermal patch form that I only had to apply once a week. I was on clonidine for about 2 years. While it did help to reduce my blood pressure, it was not as effective as my doctor would have liked. Consequently he changed me over to Verapamil, a calcium channel blocker that worked a bit better. (I currently use BenicarHCT which is much more effective than any BP med I've ever used).

One thing I noticed after stopping with clonidine was that things seemed clearer and brighter. It was as if I had been in a fog for all that time and didn't notice it until I stopped taking the med. As it turns out, I later learned that was one of the potential side effects of clonidine.