Hello my is kelly and i was taking the depo shot for four yrs. and when i got off of it the side effects are still there over a yr later my question to you is why am i having the side effects and why haven't they stopped? and also i been trying to have a child for some months now with no such luck os that from the shot or what can you please e-mail me back on your comments i would appreciate it very,very,very,much THANK YOU

Hi, The following is quite general information about what I found out since coming of the pill but some of it might be useful. I’ve been on the pill for 15 years and only just stopped taking it about 3 weeks ago. What I’ve found out since is amazing!
1, The pill works by stopping you from releasing an egg each month (ovulating).
2. When you come off the pill your body needs time to get back into its natural rhythm (from what I’ve read this can take anywhere between 1 month to 1 year). During this time you may experience mood fluctuations, cramps, bloating, etc but this is normal while your body is readjusting (of course always consult a doctor if you’re not sure).
3. You should wait at least 3 months (personally I would wait at least 6) before trying for a baby (using other methods of contraception) while your body readjusts to the following: your own hormones need time to get back into sink; your ovaries need to work again to release the egg; and the lining of your uterus needs to rebuild to be suitable to hold a baby.
4. During this time you should keep active - go walking, swimming, yoga etc.
5. The following info has been invaluable to me as a women and I can’t believe I’ve waited until now to explore this!... There is a natural method of birth control where you can track when you’re ovulating (and most likely to get pregnant). During the time of ovulation (which is about 7 days to be safe) you can use another method of contraception (such as a condom) or refrain from sex until your not ovulating. This only requires tracking morning temperature and cervical fluid. When you track these things you learn about your body. You can also use this method if you are trying to get pregnant (you just reverse it) and you learn about your body and health too!
I wanted to share this information with everybody because since looking at websites such as these I have found that many people do not know about this method (just as I didn’t)! Here’s some websites that I’ve found really useful.
One last piece of information that I just found out…Before synthetic lighting and contraceptive hormones women used to have their periods on the full moon!!

I hope this helps? and I hope it’s not too much? Aloha, Zoe

**edited by moderator ** web addresses not allowed**

My wife got off the depo shot 3 months ago and she is almost constantly bleeding. Sometimes its just spotting and other times it normal to heavy. It only stops for a Max of a day or 2. When is this going to stop

Zoe, it's interesting that you mention tracking morning temperatures as a method of birth control! I used that method to conceive my son 15 years ago! I have been on Depoprovera for 6 years and am coming off of it so that my husband and I can try for a baby. I am certainly going to rely on this method again, as I felt it such a wonderful way to connect to my body and the rhythms of my body in the weeks leading up to conceiving my son. I still remember the feeling I got when my morning temperature began to rise, and then it rose and rose and stayed there, and I knew I was going to be a mommy. What a great memory, thank you so much for your post and for bringing that memory up for me to cherish. Good luck to you!

I haven't got my period