Hello!
I am curious about lupus. My friend got one. Is this a transmitted disease? How does a person get lupus? What is it exactly?
Thanks in advance!

Hey,
You have some interesting questions. Lupus is for example not sexually transmitted disease. You also cannot catch lupus from somebody else, so it is safe for you to hang with your friend. If you touch her (lupus is more common with women) or him, you won’t get Lupus. Lupus is also not genetically transmitted (from mother to child).
Lupus is actually auto/immune disease; lupus is a systemic disease that results from an autoimmune mechanism. Individuals with lupus will produce antibodies to their own body tissues. The body itself reacts against itself. (it has some parallels with AIDS, but not that frightful…it is like a 'self-allergy' where the body attacks its own cells and tissues, causing inflammation, pain, and possible organ damage). The resultant inflammation can cause kidney damage, arthritis, pericarditis and vasculitis.
More than 4 millions of people in US are estimated to have lupus! Some people with lupus have a mild disease that is threatening few of their organs (for example joints, skin), other have more serious type, which is life threatening (like attacking liver).
Almost no body has exact same symptoms when talking about lupus… and it is also important for you to know there are many types of lupus.
BTW, why don’t you talk to your friend about it… at first it could be embarrassing for her (him) …but could also have therapy effect…
Think about it.

A person I know has Lupus. She works with food. She has lots of pain plus, redness and hives, etc. Should she be working around food and handling food?

To me this would seem unsantitized.

To the poster whose friend has Lupus and works with food..... I am not sure why you would think her working in the food industry would be unsanitary? Lupus CAN NOT be "caught". You CAN NOT get Lupus by touching someone who has Lupus, sleeping with someone someone who has Lupus, checking a cold from someone who has Lupus, etc.

It is an autoimmune disease, the body attacks itself. You can in NO WAY shape or form "catch" Lupus.

lupus.org

lupusresearch.org/faqs_lupus.html