Hi, guys. I was in some crowd with doctors and they talked about some disease that I had never heard before. I would like to know what lupus and vitiligo are. I am not sure I have heard about them before. I would appreciate if someone could give me some basic info about this. Thank you in advance.

Hello. Both of them are autoimmune diseases. The exact causes for both of them are not known. Lupus affects skin, kidneys, joints, lungs and brain. Of course, not all these organs are affected at the same time in the same patient. Certain patients have only skin manifestation of lupus. It is called discoid lupus. Others have kidneys affected and that is what we call lupus nephritis. Some others have lupus arthritis (joints). Vitiligo is a pure skin disease. It is caused by the loss of skin pigment. You can see certain areas of skin that have no pigment. For both diseases aggressive treatment is necessary.