My girlfriend is diagnosed with candidiasis few days ago. I learn that is an infection caused by Candida fungi, especially Candida albicans. I am a little bit scared because of this and I want to know more about problem called candidiasis. Can you tell me more about it, and which way doctor should confirm candidiasis is appropriate diagnosis for someone?

The fungi that causes candidiasis are found almost everywhere in the environment. Some of Candida fungi may live harmlessly along with the abundant native species of bacteria that normally colonize the mouth, gastrointestinal tract and vagina. Usually, in health person, Candida is kept under control by the native bacteria and by the body's immune defenses. If the native bacteria are decreased by antibiotics or if the person’s immune system is weakened by illness, malnutrition, or certain medications, Candida fungi can multiply to cause symptoms. Candida infections can cause occasional symptoms in healthy people, and it can affect many parts of the body, causing localized infections or larger illness. This is depending on the person and his or her general health. To definitely confirm diagnosis of candidiasis, doctor should ask about medical history, including diabetes, cancer, HIV, and other chronic illnesses. He or she also will ask about diet and about recent use of antibiotics or medications that can suppress the immune system. If the diagnosis is uncertain, doctor may scrape the surface to obtain cells to examine under a microscope or may culture a skin sample to identify fungus or yeast.