I’m 42 years old and I’m at the age when I have to start thinking about menapause… I searched the net to find as much info on menapause as possible – I found this site, checked few posts and I loved it… That is why I decided to join… I’m interested in what exactly is menopause, when can I except to “get” it, etc… Write as much as you can – never to much of info…. Thanks
Diana

Hi Diana,
To put it very simply, it’s called menopause not “menapause” and it is the stop (or pause) of your periods. In most of the cases your periods stop when your ovaries have run out of eggs, are no longer responding to your body's hormonal signals. In other cases, menopause can “start” if your ovaries have been damaged or for some reason surgically removed. It is normal for all women but the age when women “enters” menopause period varies from one individual to another. Some experience it early 40s while for the others it happens in late 60s.
Also, menopause period is preceded by jet another (transition) period called perimenopause. This period can last on average from two to six years – of course, this is also very different form individual to individual - some women have it for a short amount of time and others longer. Anyway, once your periods have stopped for a year or so, you can be sure you’re in menopause.
If you are not sure weather you are menopausal or not, there are 2 ways to determine that. First one is, of course, the length of time without a period, and second one is a test of your follicle stimulating hormone (FSH) levels. Generally, if you have skipped periods for 10-12 consecutive months and if your hormone levels are at post-menopausal levels, you are probably experiencing menopause.
I was as detailed as possible – I hope it helps. Marry.

hi my age is 44 yrs old my symptoms is . cold sweats,cant sleep good, NO sexual drive at all.but still have my periods Irregular. i get very moody at times. cry for no reason. at times i feel my chest gets heavy and i start to get scared. could this be a symtom of menapause?

Hi there I am 39 tears old and find some days I get alot of pains in my chest, I also get quite hot and have had a terrible itching sensation :-(