Hello, I am 56 years old and was diagnosed with type I diabetes last April. I am still adjusting to the idea that I need insulin to survive. I have struggled to keep my blood sugar levels between 124 in the morning and 224 in the evening. I seemed to be doing well with this initially, although recently I have had to increase my insulin dosage from 33 to 43 to keep my blood sugar below 300. I don't know what good levels are. Is my experience normal? What should I be aiming for and how much insulin should I be taking to keep my levels under control. I hesitate to continue increasing my insulin as I do not want my blood level to go too low. What levels do you experience and at what dose?

Hi Steve,

Your doctor really should be giving you a lot more information.

The normal FASTING range for someone with diabetes would be about 70-130 mg/dl.  After eating, the American Diabetes Association recommends keeping it below about 180. 

224 is a little high, 300 is very high.

You may find you do better with smaller, more frequent meals, than one large meal.

You also don't want to get below about 70.  Below that range you may experience nausea, have a fast heartbeat (tachycardia), get shaky, feel cold/clammy, or even nervous.  Symptom vary amongst individuals.

Around 50-55, you may get irritable, tired, lose muscle coordination, have blurred vision.

Below about 35 is very dangerous, you may pass out or have seizures.

Hope it helps.

I woke up in the night with a blood sugar reading of 522. This has never happened and I ate fairly lightly at the evening meal. I am nervous about this.

Hi Gene,

See your doctor.

Are you monitoring your levels for a reason or just curiosity?