I'm having a problem with my blood glucose levels after eating sweets. I'm getting low blood sugar readings. My understanding is that under normal conditions blood sugar levels should rise after eating something. What could be happening here? Am I having a problem with my pancreas maybe? I'm not on any diabetic medications. I know I'm not always eating the proper foods but I try my best. My doctor says I have high blood pressure now. Could that have something to do with it? I'm a 65 year old women and otherwise in good health it would seem. Can anyone help me with this? Thanks.

It isn't uncommon to have low blood sugar readings after eating sweets, but you need to keep an eye on it. Low blood sugar levels sometimes occur because you have a rapid rise in insulin that is not coordinated with the rise in glucose. This can happen to people who don't have diabetes and often does. Often times it has to do with what you're eating even beyond sweets. It's a good idea to eat small meals that combine nutrients such as fat, carbohydrates and protein. If your blood glucose levels dive to 50 or below, this is a definite concern. You may be having pancreas problems or it could be your hypothalamus in the brain. Nevertheless, you may be having hormone issues that need to be checked on. Talk with your doctor and see where you need to go from there. I think if you try regulating your diet better with small meals that are balanced will do the trick. If not, you need to see your doctor as soon as possible to get a proper diagnosis. Remember diet and exercise are important for not only diabetics but everyone. Your diet needs to be under control and that should help with your blood glucose levels.