How low can a person go regarding BG levels?  I was wondering about that because my friend said her doc said she can go down to 70.  Mine said I shouldn't go below 80.  So who is right?  I don't want to go to 70 if that is a bad thing to do. 

If your doctor says to stay within 80 mg/dl or higher, you should stay within that.  For some people, they feel just fine at 70 mg/dl for their blood sugar, but others start feeling sick or lightheaded.  I would be comfortable with staying within 80 mg/dl myself, because 70 mg/dl seems too low of a reading.  It is getting a bit close to hypoglycemia, in my opinion.  You should be just fine with what your doctor recommends, and you will be able to stay out of hypoglycemic parameters. 

It can be so confusing when a person gets conflicting advice from everyone. I hear so many different things about how to eat when you are on a diabetic diet, how much to exercise, what blood sugars to aim for to avoid getting complications of diabetes... this list goes on. Does anyone really know what information is correct or are they making educated guesses? Maybe the medical establishment makes things up as they go. I don't know. It is just that the things to do with our health should be more clear than to make it confusing for everyone. It’s no wonder that many patients just give up because they are frustrated. There needs to be a call for more continuity in information when it comes to what the cutoff point is for the optimal A1c and blood sugar readings. Just like with “what is the lowest glucose reading allowable.” The answer should be the same from every health professional.