I remember my doctor gave me a target range for my blood glucose to stay within, but can it change? Is it a "one size fits all" or does everyone have a different range? I'm wnodering because if it depended on something like weight, I could work harder to lose weight and then maybe be allowed to have a bit of a higher range? 

Hi Guest,

The levels do not vary greatly.  After a FASTING blood sugar test it should be 70-100 mg/dl.  It doesn't matter if you weight 100 or 400 pounds.

But, losing weight CAN reduce your needs for insulin.  There is a benefit to reducing your weight.

Hope it helps.

As medic dan said, the range doesn't vary a great deal. I've seen 70-100 or 70-110 as the target ranges. If you lose weight, you may be easier to stay within the range naturally and reduce your dependence on insulin. Also, if you lose weight, you'll have more leeway in your exchanges and possibly be able to consume more because your body will be much more efficient in secreting and using insulin.

The range you're given is usually the same for everyone although I have a couple of friends whose blood sugar always runs so high that their doctor said it was fine to always be a little higher because it isn't always "one size fits all." I think it just depends on your body chemistry and how your body handles its diabetes. I don't think everyone is the same.