Hi guys, I am a type 2 diabetic and I'm considering starting a family, Can anyone tell me what are the possible pregnancy complications? My husband is concerned about me and the baby and if we will be okay. My mom seems to think it is okay but my mom thinks everything is okay. I know that there have been many advances in science and medicine that make these things possible these days. Nevertheless, my husband and I are still somewhat worried and we really want to get off to a good start with the family situation. Can anyone help with telling me about some of the pregnancy complications? Greatly appreciated and thanks.

In the past, females with type 2 diabetes were discouraged from getting pregnant largely due to concerns for mother and baby. But this is no longer the case although certain precautions need to be followed. The most important thing you need to worry about is managing your blood sugar levels and that's not just when you're pregnant but before you are pregnant (3 months before or so). The first few weeks of your pregnancy are critical as well and quite often you don't even know your pregnant during that time. You will be encouraged to check your blood sugar levels anywhere from 4 to 8 times a day to help keep you on track. Know your glucose level is everything.

Having diabetes type 2 puts you at risk of having a larger than normal fetus which may require a C section and your baby may be born pre-mature. Birth defects are also a possibility. To try and keep you sugar levels in a reasonable range, you need the proper nutrition with insulin and exercise. Your nutrition and exercise will change as your pregnancy progresses.

Make sure to check sugar levels often and keep a record in you log. With relatively normal glucose levels and good quality medical care, your pregnancy should go off without hitch pretty much the same as a woman who doesn't have diabetes.