Hello, I need some help with my diet. I don’t eat much, but I do not include fruits and vegetables and it looks like that was the reason for my constipation. I would like to learn something more about the role of the fibers in the digestion process. Do fibers decrease sugar level in the blood?

Diet fibers have a lot of advantages. They are mostly found in the fruits and vegetables. Their basic function is that they attract water molecules and increase their growth. Because of that, intestines wider and the motility is increased too. This makes the defecation easier and also the levels of cholesterol and triglycerides are regulated. This also goes for the sugar levels.

Fiber is more important than many most people believe. Fiber is found, as you stated, in friuts and vegetables. Fiber is also found in whole grain foods, nuts, beans, raisins, oatmeal and oat bran. And that's just a partial list!

A study published in the May 11, 2000 issue of The New England Journal of Medicine reports that diabetic patients who included 50 grams of fiber in their daily diet lowered their glucose levels by 10%. Fifty grams is a lot of fiber: about twice as much as the American Diabetes Association recommends, and nearly 3 times as much fiber as most Americans consume in a day.

The high-fiber diet also decreased insulin levels in the blood and lowered blood lipid concentrations in study patients with type II diabetes, or non-insulin dependent diabetes mellitus, the most prevalent type of diabetes.

So, as you can see, fiber can decrease your blood glucose (sugar) levels.