On On the morning of March 11th, my glucose reading before breakfast was 6.3 (mmol/L).  Two hours after breakfast, my glucose reading before breakfast rose to 7.3.  I had a cup of coffee with 1% milk & stevia and All-Bran cereal with mixed nuts, blueberries and 1 % milk.  On the morning of March 12th, my glucose reading before breakfast was 5.9.   Two hours after breakfast, my glucose reading before breakfast rose to 6.8.  I had  a cup of coffee with 1% milk & stevia, omelet, and 1 slice of whole rye bread (contained 2 grams of sugar) with almond butter (no sugar).  I've tried decaf green tea on other occasions instead of coffee but the glucose readings are consistently close to 7 or over. My readings after supper are normally below 6. Why can I not get my readings 2 hours after breakfast below 6?  What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions to get my breakfast readings below 6  would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Ron,

Your levels are actually very good, and consistent.

Normal levels would be 4 - 7 mmol/l before a meal, under 10 mmol/l about 90 minutes after eating, and about 8 mmol/l at bedtime.

It's normal for your glucose levels to be higher after breakfast.

Are you on insulin or being treated for diabetes? 

Check with your doctor.

Thank you for your reply.  I do not take insulin or any diabetes medications.  Based on my last blood test (December 2011), my fasting glucose was 7.3 (mmol/L) which is onside the normal range.   I am very concerned that I may become (if I'm not already there) a Type 2 diabete. For this reason, I have been monitoring my sugar levels the last three weeks (2 hours before breakfast and supper, and recently just before breakfast).  My results have been all over the map.  I'm 62 years old with high blood pressure which is under control with medication and regular exercise.  My diet consists mostly of vegetables, fruits , nuts, and some whole grains.  I have read so many articles that I'm totally confused as what are considered normal glucose readings. 

Hi Ron,

From what I see, including the fasting results, you are NORMAL.  Your doctor can give you better information but based on what information you're providing you are not diabetic.

One of the best ways to reduce the risks of becoming diabetic, or to reduce the need for insulin if you need it, is to reduce your weight.  Controlling blood pressure, and your cholesterol, is also important.  It sounds like you're doing your best to control these.

I wouldn't place to much weight on the one fasting blood sugar level that you have.  While 7.3 mmol/l is well within the normal range you are recording lower values on a regular basis, the 6.3 and 5.9 mmol/l that you mention.

Over about 11 mmol/l on a regular basis would be considered "high blood sugar" and an indicator of diabetes.

Hope it helps.

Now I'm confused. Those numbers are NOT the ones my doctor looks at to determine instant blood sugar levels. He looks at the finger stick numbers that range from about 90 to 130. He says the 5.X to 7.X type numbers that I get from a blood test that was sent to a lab are taken after fasting and are an indication of the average for the previous 3 months.

When I went to my RNP at the VA last month she looked at the 126 number and was upset about it being indicative of diabetes but the blood work up they did this time did not show the 5.X type glucose number. This is the first time in 10 years of them doing that every 6 months that they didn't show that number. The following day I was at my home town doctor's where he uses the blood report from them to form his own opinions and he was quite upset that they didn't do the glucose test so he drew some blood himself to send to the lab.

I told him she was upset about the 126 being high and that's when he told me that wasn't of any concern to him as that number fluctuates all over the place during the day. As long as it stays between 90 and 130 it's normal. The one he want's to see is the AVERAGE for the past three months which he said is the 5.X type and he couldn't understand why they didn't do that test.

The OP is using UK measurements, mmol/l, not the US mg/dl. So, the 90-130 mg/dl readings you'd see relate to about 5 - 7 mmol/ll.

Yes, there is another test that you're referring too, an A1C test. It's the average for about 2-3 months.

Thank you medic-dan.  Your reply was helpful.

Ron

Well that explains that.

Thanks Dan.

i have diabetes 2 and im having real bad hunger pains to the point where it hurts so bad could you maybe tellwhat you think that is.my a1c is pretty high last time i checked

See your doctor Machetesgirl for an evaluation and bring a copy of your typical diet (for a week or more) so that you can discuss it with them. Also any records of your glucose readings, activity/exercise level, etc. This way the doctor can better understand what is going on and if you are taking medications verify the dosages.
Good luck.

What is the range af glucose levrl for a 10 years old before and after meal? How much should it be before breakfast