Are both Hydrocodone & Methadone narcotic analgesics? If they are which one is better? I don’t want to get addicted on it? I would like some explanations about these two drugs Hydrocodone & Methadone. Thank you.

Narcotic analgesics are used to relieve pain and some of these medicines are also used just before or during an operation to help the anesthetic work better. Codeine and hydrocodone are also used to relieve coughing and Methadone is also used to help some people control their dependence on heroin or other narcotics. I think it is important that your doctor determine which one is for you and most effective for the condition that you are suffering from. Narcotic analgesics act in the central nervous system to relieve pain and if a narcotic is used for a long time, it may become habit-forming causing mental or physical dependence. These medicines, Hydrocodone & Methadone, are available only with your medical doctor's or dentist's prescription.

To add: Hydrocodone causes an euphoric type feeling in a person, along with the pain relief property. As such, it has a higher incident rate of abuse then Methadone. Methadone has a bad rap in most peoples eyes, because its association with herion. However, it is a very effective pain medication used for long term care! Now with that said, Methadone W/D is one of the worst out there and can be torturous on the person stopping use of it. Hydrocodone also has bad W/D, but NOTHING compared to Methadone. I know from personal use of both for pain mgt. and I was hospitalized for 3 dys to get off of the Methadone. Methadone typically doesn't cause a tolerance issue, like other pain meds, so doses aren't typically increased with time. The difference in the two is the way the body stores and metabolizes the pain med. Simply, Methadone is stored in the body tissue and that is why it is longer lasting than hydrocodone. However, this is also what causes the severe W/D from Methadone. It takes much longer for the body to break down and rid itself of Methadone, unlike hydrocodone. This is also the pain mgt downfall. You cannot pop a pill and get relief in 30 minutes, because it must build-up in your system and be stored. It typically takes at least 24 hours to start seeing the pain relief with methadone.

Most people will experience about a week of W/D when ending a codone drug. Whereas, Methadone can take weeks to months to recover. Most doctors won't prescribe Methadone because it is a schedule II drug and under much scrutiny, so it's primarily used in hospice care...hence, once on never off till death!

The decision to go on methadone should not be taken lightly and I strongly urge you to research it first. I was under the belief that it was a non-addictive medication, being that my body wouldn't become dependent. Even though it doesn't cause mental "addiction" it does cause physical dependency, even on small doses! Many people mistake addiction and dependency, like I did. I was on less then 30mg a dy for 4 months and I went through 2 weeks of W/D...3 dys that required in-patient hospital care! Also, very few pain mgt. W/D clinics are prepared for this type of W/D, so be prepared to do it with little guidance! I did it under the supervision of a general hospital doctor and I was just observed and put on other meds to help ease the W/D, i.e. sleeping meds, ativan for anxiety, tylenol for pain, senemet for restless legs, and muscle relaxers.

I have been addicted to hydrocodones for ayear and a half. I also take i mg. of xanax 3 times a day. 4 days ago, i got fed up with depending on these pills(Hydrocodones).I went to my dr. and told him i was addicted tohydros. iwas taking upto 20 pills a day. He gave me some flexorals and is sending me to drug counseling. My friend had some liquid methodone she gets (pink stuff) and gave me some cuz i was physically sick not functioning, didn't want to move, and mentally could cry at anything. The meth really helped. I have counseling tomorrow and i have to go back and see my dr. to this week, i'm going to tell him about the meth, im wondering what heis going to say and if would write me my own perscription Please help.

I've been on methadone for a few months. At most I took 65mgs per day. I'm down to 5mgs & feel so bad! The methadone was for back pain from ruptured discs. I now have a spinal cord stimulator & desperately need my life back. My pain Doc gave me klonidin & that gave me a horrible headache! Had to get a shot of demoral. It still hurts & I'm taking excedrin for headaches which I have daily. I'm also taking 3mgs of xanax & that is my only relief to be calm & sleep. I am a real estate broker with my own company. I have a husband whose sick of my issues & a 12 & 14 yr. old. I can't work right now & its so hard to be a part of anything. Especially their activities. I will take the last 5mg pill in about a week & a half. I'm so scared to keep feeling this way. I wish I would have known more about methadone before going on it. I hope that soon I will only need the zoloft for depression & hopefully have success going off of that.
I never dreamed this could happen to me! Thanks for all who are out there for your support.

Ive been on methadone for approx 18 months, now dosing at 110mg daily (liquid). Although considered to be a somewhat high dose, still suffer tremendously with back and neck pain. Methadone is very effective and long lasting analgesic, but once your body develops a tolerance to it you will find yourself in a much worse situation than prior to taking it. I was incarserated for ten days on 130mgs...first time in jail, and first time detoxing from meth. Words cannot describe the misery...only those who have suffered through a similar experience can begin to understand the agony of detoxing in such a way...i would advise ANYONE who is not fully aware of the seriousness of making the decision to begin taking methadone to DO YOUR RESEARCH. Had i listened to those who warned me of the dangers of the drug, i would not be in the situation I am now unfortunately stuck in. PLEASE consider other options for pain management or opiate dependancy...suboxone, other narc. analgesics, etc...

if you can avoid using methadone for any reason, I strongly suggest that you do so. I have had a debilitating back condition for years and for years I took Lortab [hydrocodone], which I could stop using anytime without any ill effects...I never upped my doses over the years, was taking the same doses five years after I started as I had in the beginning. I skipped doses, skipped days even weeks when I could tolerate my pain...I never became psychologically dependent, I am not addicted...I do not like to feel "high"...but the pain got worse, my condition deteriorated and when I started needing 2 canes to walk, I was put on oxycontin. I didn't like Oxycontin, it worked on the pain, but again, I don't like feeling "high" and that made me feel that way, so I was off of that after a month or so of trying to adjust...failing to do so...also, I had some better days than others and didn't always need that much medication for pain in any case, but you can not cut an oxycontin in half etc to take less w/out putting your life at risk, so my doctor changed me to methadone so i could take smaller doses when I didn't need as much. I was able to function on a very high level w/no feeling of being high or dizzy or sleepy etc...and That worked great! until recently when I had a seriously awesome week, where just a lortab would do, if i needed anything at all beyond the anti inflammatories, I was not very active that week and had the least pain I could remember in years, so I just didn't take the methadone at all. I am also at menopause age and have regular hot flashes, so I didn't notice the sweats/hot-cold flashes as something new, albeit maybe more severe than usual...until the 6th day, when the sweats turned into a headache, which turned into vomiting, which in turn convinced me fairly quickly that I was about to die a pretty horrible death.

I passed out in the waiting room of the doctors office, had dry heaves once my belly was empty even of bile, was freezing and suffocating from heat, virtually at the same time...and although I've taken that med for years, I have not needed more than 60 mg in day since near the beginning when it was the worst [I've had a couple of surgeries since that helped a bit, but not enough], and decreased that over time,...and at that point was taking up to 10 mg, up to 3 times a day. Usually less. I am now using less than 5 mg a day, trying to manage 2.5 once a day...getting ready to abandon it forever. My back pain is getting very uncomfortable...I deal with significant pain. When I say I had a great week, most people would not be able to function in the amount of pain I call "good"...but I'm used to it, so I can bear a great deal more pain than the average bear...still...my spine is dissolving, its not going to get any better...so I fear for my new reality if I can no longer use anything...but given the alternatives, I think I can take it...because i CANNOT IMAGINE, GOING THROUGH THAT AGAIN...I've never experienced that kind of agony [I've born two children, had 15 major surgeries, broken bones, migraines, food poisoning, car accidents, even a serious burn and more that weren't as bad as what happened that day] and the thought of not being able to get it for one reason or another, while still dependent on it physically, utterly terrifies me. So its got to go.

I am not sure I will be able to function physically with no kind of opiate at all, if hydrocodone is no longer a safe bet because of what the methadone has done to me, then I may end up a lot closer to crippled again, that limp will get worse, I may need two canes again...or a walker for God's sake...so not sure where we go from here, but under no circumstances will I continue on this med indefinitely after that incident. If I have to give up pain relief to avoid another withdrawal incident of that magnitude, then that is what I will do...I hope that makes the impression I am intending to make...I can't imagine using these kinds of meds again unless I knew I was going to die soon anyway.

So, in summary, DO NOT GO THERE even temporarily, unless you are prepared for the potential of unimaginable agony when you get off of it, or a lifetime of use when its all said and done.

I wish all of you in the same boat, or worse, the best of luck in treating the dependence and hope that God smiles on you as you separate from this insidious medication, with ease of symptoms and quick return to normal life. hugs

Ive been on 110mg of methadone a day for the past 14 months and im so nervous and terrified of getting of it...before being on methadone i started on oxycontin for my ruptured discs in my back, taking 80mg to 160mg a day and when i detoxed off that it was pretty rough, after oxycontin the doctor prescribed me oxymorphone and i was taking anywere from 40mg to 140mg a day (which is a pretty high dose) to say the least i was physically dependent and was becoming a addict something i never thought i would become. I was in the military for 2yrs and after a horrible accident i got medically discharged and been on pain medicine ever since. But detoxing from the oxymorphone was the worst detox ive ever had in my whole life, it was horrible, diarreah and vomiting at the same time for a week straight, then horrible migraines non-stop, nothing helped...the only way i got to sleep was to take 4-6mg of xanax. it was awful. but now im on methadone in order to get off that other stuff and im thinking ive made a horrible mistake...after seeing all these posts, i dont think i can deal with another detox thats worse than oxymorphone and lasts longer too! its terrifies me! and im on 110mg and been on it for 14 months now! im going to get them to lower my dose gradually and when i get to 20-30mg im going to stay on that for a while, then i going to lower it some more and just ease myself off of it to make the detox as painless as possible if its even possible, but i have already stocked up on somos,xanax,valium,suboxone and ambien, I just hope thats enough..im so nervous about detoxing but im so tired of being on it and letting it control my life! i live in little rock, arkansas and im on the methadone clinic here taking liquid methadone daily and im phased up to were i only have to go 3x a week. i just want to know what would be the best way to get off of this medicine?? Im open to any suggestion that anyone may have, i just want to hurry up and get this over with, even though the W/Ds can last weeks and even months...ohh and the other thing is that im on felony probation to for forging prescriptions which happened shortly after the oxymorphone detoxing..i appreciate anything anyone has to say to me and im open to any suggestions, thank all of you out there so much and i feel everyone pain that has detoxed off any opiate, i know how horrible it can get

wow iam sorry to tell you it saved my life

it prob saved ur life of dieing from a over dose etc.im sure bet u are still taking it.when you stop you will feel diffrent.that stuff(methadone)is something that should be out lawed.i was on just 95 mgs for about 2 yrs at a clinic after dealing with pain meds for surgery.then i went to 35 mgs til 3 months ago.6 yrs of taking it.money got low so i was 150 dollars behind ,instead of working with me,they 5 day detoxed me.its been 3 months of agony.pain in eye sockets,cluster headaches,muscle aches,depression,aching joints theres so much that comes from dependency from 1s body from methadone.i wouldnt recomend that s--- to anyone.if i was a attic,id rather die from that then take methadone again.i wanted to commit suicide due to the symtoms.you will say things to ur loved 1s that you woulnt normally say.if you are thinking of methadone i say(NO).if u use heroin,go suboxone for a short time then detox.methadone stores in  ya fatty deposits in ya body and takes u to 6 months to get out and u feel all of it.if you want to know what hell is like,try it.ray charles was just on heroin and went through hell,imagine worse than that.dont think that these drug rehab places care,they dont.i added it up.in 6 yrs,i paid out in the neighborhood of 24k dollars at 85 dollars a week.so u see,i wasnt that far behind in money,but they booted me anyway after 6 yrs.im in richmond va.i wont say which one it was .if you are in va and the place you are going has 4 letters for the abbreviation of its name,dont go.this was to all that reads it.good luck!

I can relate to your story. I was 25 when a doctor accidentally messed up my insides.
I won't get into details but they drugged me with dilaudid and other drugs for months. It is now 5 years later and I am dependent on hydrocodone and want desperately to stop. I am scared of withdrawal as well as pain I may feel because my body is destroyed for life. They really expected me to be dead and sometimes living this life I see why that may have been better. Just like when I first
Found out what happened I refuse to give up and I am looking for help in every direction. This is not my fault but I am through feeling sorry for myself and I will win.

Guest wrote:

Dear Addict

I just want to let you know that you are the last to know that you are hooked....i bet it is not hard being apart of the pill popping society that you are entangled with... but you cry out that it is hard being apart of family...Your spouse is on the money, he should be tire of your addict material that you have become...just order yourself a quart of methadone and go to sleep...because you will not find any peace now that you suffer with all of the ailment you have mentioned.

I AM A ADDICT AND FIND THIS PARAGRAPH DISTURBING! DO YOU HAVE ADDICTION PROBLEM? i BET YOU ARE A HATEFUL PERSON. VERY RUDE. I BELIEVE THAT SHELLYP WILL MAKE IT. JUST PRAY , KEEP FIGHTING.

I was on methadone for 7 yrs, it almost killed me...funny because for the first couple years i used to say (it saved my life) i did get my life together ..build a home life watch my kids grow in that time,7 yrs..at 90 a week!Then i started gaining weight..alot,getting sick,having to get breathing treatments and they couldnt find my pulse several times..it causes that! i was put on diff med for low blood pressure ,Methadone was slowing my motabalisim down to keep the meds in, i was sweating all the time ..not using the bath room and holding water! it was killing me so i had to go off it so i went down for 2 yrs and the stayed on 10 mgs for a yr then was on 5 and walked off at 5 and was sicker than a dog for about 2 months ..it was one of the hardest things ive ever done! I have lost 50 lbs ..more healthy, dnt .smoke ciggerets, exercise..i work, im not on any of them med any more!

What a miserable and cruel person you must be to write something like that. I have nothing but pity for you and for your loved ones for having such an ignorant, cold and unepathetic being in their family. It would be so horribly unfair if or should you have any children. May you suffer the same demise you so freely placed on the writer's life. You know what, though? She'll be just fine...but you have to live with your apparent demons for the rest of your lonely life.

In response to the note written by "Guest, above...