Hi, I have done a home pregnancy test. It was positive so I went to see a doctor to make sure. After the blood works he confirmed the home test. He calculated that I am ten weeks pregnant. The next steps I have to take are an ultrasound exam and the heart beat monitoring. I did not know that the fetal heart beat can be heard this soon. When is the first time that the heart beat can be detected?

Hi, monitoring the fetal heart beat is important. It can show if your baby is getting enough oxygen. The ultrasound can show the heart but you won't be able to hear it. You are in the phase of pregnancy when the fetal heart beats can be heard for the first time. The doctor will use the Doppler instrument to detect the heart beats. The Doppler amplifies the heart beats because they are not that strong. You shouldn't worry if the doctor doesn't pick them up right away because at this stage the instrument has to be placed under the right angle for the heart beats to be heard. I am sure that hearing your baby's heart beats for the first time will be an amazing experience.

On average, via Ultrasound, they should be able to detect a heartbeat around 6-7 weeks. However for some women it can be up till 10 weeks. The range of the heartbeat that they feel is "good" is 120-170 or there about. I hope you are doing well.

Hi dear, I am now 7 weeks and 5 days pregnant, I went to the doctor at 6 weeks, and i was able to hear the heart beat when she put the Doppler inside. Good luck to you dear. From Maheen

I wanted to know if a blood test could determain weather or not the fetus has a heart beat, if you cant hear it at six or seven weeks.......

A baby's heart starts beating at approximately 21 days from conception.