I had an ultrasound on Thursday. The doctor said that I was 6 weeks and 1 day according to measurements. He could not detect a heartbeat. The size of the baby has grown since last week's ultrasound. He says he should be able to detect a heartbeat and because he can't that I have a 2% chance of this baby surviving. He wants me to go back in 4 days to give it on last chance to see the heartbeat on the ultrasound. If there is no heartbeat he wants to discuss a D&C. Has anyone ever had this happen to them? Is it really on a 2% chance at this point? Is 6 weeks too early? Could he be wrong?

I then went on Friday due to essesive stress to get a second opinion. This doctor told me that everything looked fine and that that the measurements came to 5 weeks and 5 days. Still no heart beat. I started having a pinkish vaginal discharge today. Not a lot. It is more mucus like. Is everything okay? I just want to know that this is normal to not find the heart beat this soon and that my discharge is okay. I want to know my baby will be okay! Please help

Hi - I know this post is a bit old but just wanted to reassure anyone who is lurking and wanting to know the answer on this one from someone else who experienced a similar thing. At 6 weeks 1 or 2 days I had abdomincal u/s which showed gestational sac (no fetal pole, yolk sac or heartbeat)....was naturally a bit worried after reading different info on many posts about the same thing. Went for u/s today and now 8 weeks and all is fine - there is a heartbeat around 168 beats and so far all is well. So dont panic wait it out and maybe your dates are out...not sure if mine were cause I am 8 weeks like I thought. Not everything goes by the book we are talking about Mother Nature here...Good luck and my thoughts are with anyone who reads this :-)

I haven't experience that but just like the person that replied before me I can tell you it is quite common. I have read about many womens' experiences in pregnancy and a lot of them have said that they been to ultrasounds around the same time you did and were told there was no heartbeat and many were pushed to have a D&C but they waited and either had another ultrasound or a second opinion and turnrd out their babies were just fine and were able to detect a hearttbeat. From my research about pregnancy 6 weeks sometimes is too soon to hear a heartbeat. The hearbeat is definetily there by that time but for some reeason sometimes can't be heard this early. Wait till you are 8 weeks at least. Too soon to worry. Specially if you are not even 6 weeks pregnant. Although by now you should be farther along and found out results. Let us knoe what happened, Best wishes.

:-( I've been very nervous since having my first ultrasound. Based on my LMP, I should have been about 8.5 weeks, but only measured for 6 weeks, 1 day. They also couldn't detect a fetal heart... After talking to my regular doctor, she said that either my dates are off, and I may have ovulated later, or that it is a sign that the baby has stopped growing and that I will miscarry. Obviously, I am hoping that my dates were off!!! But I woke up in the middle of the night last night with very faint light brown spotting. It wasn't there this morning, but I am making myself sick with worry and I can't wait to go back next week, to see if there has been any growth. My husband is trying to comfort me and tell me that the baby is fine...but realistically, I just don't know. :-(

Hi Annaemerson, we are in the exact same position as you at the moment. Last sunday I had very light brown spotting, we had an ultra sound done on monday and it showed a fetus measuring 6.2 weeks. By my dates I though I shoud have been 8.2 weeks. No heart beat. We were told nothing only to make an appointment for the following Monday. We are devistated have cried so much I cant cry anymore. I will say a prayer for you both and hopefully it will turn out ok for all. Take care and keep hoping I know thats all I can do for now.

I would love to know what happened to the ladies in these last two posts...I am in the exact situation and am worried sick! Hopefully you will see this and respond with good news!

I am in the same position also
can anyone update?

I am also in the same position.... any updates?

I am also in the same position.....5 weeks and 5 days according to the ultrasound. There is a gestational sac and yok sac but no heart beat yet. I am so worried I can't focus on anything else. I'm having another ultrasound next Wednesday. I'll let everyone know what happens....Good luck to you all.

i am also in the same position, i took 2 hpt on vet's day 111108 both positive i made a dtr appt the next day and was told i was about 6 wks, u/s done same day gest sac but nothing else. i had read up before going to the doctor expecting to see alot more. the dtr was no help emotions whys, she just blurted out i dont see anything other than the sac...how rude. she scheduled me an appt for 1 wk later. i wet into the appt feeling bubbly and nervous, ad left a nervous wreck. it wasnt until i look on websites and saw other pics of u/s at 6 wks and many looked identical to mine. i have been trying to thinlk positive b/c i dont want to risk anything but i am so bothered at how unassuring the dtr was. any one had this same experience :-(

I went in a week and a half ago expecting to see the babies heart beat. The dr said he did not see one and I needed to schedule a D&C. He said I was measuring 8 weeks. I knew that was not right because he was going from my last period. I tried to tell him he could not do that because my cycles are around 40-42 days long. He would not listen. He sent me to an imaging place that day to get a 2nd opinion. The 2nd dr said I was 6 weeks and he did not see a heart beat, but they were concerned because the 1st dr. did not check my Hcg levels. I was sceduled 3 days later on a Monday (last Monday) for a D&C with my new Dr. she checked again and said I was measuring 6 weeks 5 days and there was definately no heartbeat and I wold mis carry soon. I decided not to have a D&C and pass it on my own. It has now been a week and a half and I have had no signs of a miscarriage. I did throw up two days again and I have been extremely hungry. I have had headaches, but my breast soreness has gone away. Can anybody help me figure this out? I have decided that if it does not happen by the end of this week, I wil lgo back again. This is our first pregnancy and we have been trying for 14 months. We are devastated and confused. Thank you for you help!

hey. i just got a u/s about two weeks age when i was 6 weeks. and it didnt have a heart beat. but they said preetty much no one has a heart beat ar 6 weeks. you gotta wait till 7-8 weeks.. so dont worry about it too much.

I am also having similar problems. I went for my first visit at the end of October. The doctor did no exam, no u/s, just took blood and talked to me. Yesterday I went in for my 1st u/s. I saw the baby. They said the baby was only 7 wks and no heartbeat could be seen. From MY dates I should have been 10 wks, but I guess I could be wrong. The doctor said the baby probably stopped growing and had died. She started talking about a d&c. She took my blood and I have to go back in tomorrow to give blood again so they can compare the hcg levels. I called today to get the results of my test and they said my levels were at 19646. Does anyone know if that is a good level? I have another ultrasound scheduled for 12/1/08 and they will also give me the results of the 2 blood tests. I am terrified. I think the doctor is wrong. I have had no bleeding or cramping and I still have pregnancy symptoms. I have scheduled a doctors appointment with a different doctor to get a second opinion. I have never felt so scared and helpless before. I do not think it is a good idea to get a d&c right away. My husband and I are both an emotional wreck. Can anyone give me some advice. My prayers are with anyone who is going through this same thing.

Let me know how everything turns out for anyone! I need to hear some good stuff right about now :-)

I went in last week to hear the heartbeat. I was 13 weeks and nothing.
The doctor said it was normal, usually at 14 to 16 weeks the heartbeat gets strong and you can find it immediately. But before that its to weak, and the baby is so small it's hard to pin down the exact location of that tiny heart.
He warned me it was 50/50 I would hear anything before we started so when I didn't hear anything I felt better. My sister wasn't able to hear anything with her first until 15 weeks.
Since your not very far along I would say it's perfectly normal. Most books you read or websites you visit stress that 5, 6, 7 even 12 weeks is to soon to even try to hear a heartbeat.
I'm in Canada, not sure where the rest of the people here are located. I guess we just do things differently here, because my doctor didn't even try until last week because he knew it was a 98% chance that nothing would be heard..