2 days ago I had my first UltraSound. I was supposed to be 9wks1day pregnant, the baby measured at 8wks5days with no heartbeat. The doctor insisted that I D&C and sent me home.

After some time thinking about it my due date could have been a few days off. So the underdevelopment is no reason to D&C obviously. Some of the books I read said that there are many reason why a heartbeat could be missing until as late as 11 weeks and never to go off a single US missing a heartbeat.

I called my doctor back today and requested 2 blood test over 72 hours to moniter my HCG levels to see if it was raising or falling and the doctor said that would be pointless and denied my request. This immediatly made me want to find another doctor, but all the doctors who accept my insurance are not accepting patients right now. After talking to my doctor for another hour they accept my request for a second ultrasound at the end of next week. I am really unhappy with my doctors at this point because of all this.

A bit more about me real fast; I had absolutly no morning sickness through my pregnancy, and still have no changes in that of course. My breast are still tender and still having crazy cravings (pickles and peanut butter...). No bleeding or pain throughout the entire pregnancy thusfar, and I'm not just comfortable with a D&C without feeling like I made sure.

Please note, I'm not getting my hopes up or anything, I'm just curious for imput on my situation and how other people would handle it.

I am so sorry to hear of this happening to you. I would go in for a second opinion and see what occurs an if you don't like wha they have to say or offer then I would try maybe a well woman's clinic that offers prenatal care/fetal monitoring. I wish the best for you hun~

I found out I was pregnant quite early and had my first u/s at just under 5 weeks & told it looked like there were 2 sacs. I went back for a 2nd ultrasound yesterday and sure enough, twins. They measured at 7wks 5 days but I was then told that there was no blood flow or heartbeats. They also did a transvaginal u/s just to make sure. Still nothing. I have no cramping or discharge and still have all the signs of being pregnant. I'm a nurse so I understand the hormone levels etc are still elevated, but why do I feel that there is nothing wrong? People have told me I'm in the denial stage. This is my 2nd pregnancy. My first was 17 years ago so you can imagine my shock! I went back to my GP today & she sent me off to have my hCg level checked & I get the results tomorrow. She only spoke about me letting nature takes its course as far as miscarrying goes but I just don't think I want to be walking around with 2 unviable embryos in me if everything proves this pregnancy is over. Should I request a d&c.

Hey confused and sad
I'm really sorry your going through this. As a nurse you understand the medical reasons, as you have said for hormone levels and the reason they are doing the tests they have and still are. It may be possible because the hormone levels are still high (if they are) you still feel everything is ok, or simple human nature we always want something to work out and when it's not good news we hope that there has been a mistake. Your mind as you probably know can be very powerful so even though this may not have been planned, and was really unexpected after a 17 year gap perhaps your want for a new baby(s), and the hope their tests maybe wrong is strong enough for you to still feel all is well. Moms often think they would just know if something id wrong, if you never felt there may be a problem you just subconsciously cant comprehend it as to you your going along feeling however you do, you attend your scan and even though you can see it and understand on a medical level what has happened, why should you feel different just because you have new information, it may take time for it to sink in properly.
I think regards wanting a D&C over nature taking it's course I understand totally why you would want this, and they should agree to it, but it may be dependent on how far along you would have been. I'm not certain enough to answer how long that might be if that is even a reason why it has not been suggested. When you get your new results if this is still what you want mention it and they will be able to advise you better than I can
I hope this is helpful <3