Today I went to the doctors and they said that at my recent ultrasound the baby had an irregular heartbeat. I asked what that meant and they said that it could be nothing, but then told me I have to wait a month to find out at my next ultrasound. Is this common? What could it mean if it is something more serious then dehydration. Which by the way I had plenty to drink before that sono. Any news you can give me would be helpful. Thanks for your time

Kelly

i was almost 20 weeks and i went in for dehydrationand they said that my baby had an odd heart beat to so they did the ultersound and it was the couse of being dehydratied nothing was wrong everything went ok.

I am not trying to scare you but my baby had minimal irregular heart beat and it ended up that he had HLHS (born with half a heart) and required a heart transplant. This does not necessarily mean that your baby will have a heart defect but 1 in 125 babies are born with congenital heart defects - they are the most common type of birth defect. If your baby continues to have irregular heart beats and dehydration is ruled out then I would STRONGLY suggest having an echocardiogram done to insure that it is not something more serious because normal ultrasounds can miss heart problems.

An irregular heart beat in the unborn baby is usually a transient finding that corrects itself either before birth, or shortly thereafter, and has no long term implications for the mental and physical well being of the child. Occasionally the irregularity may convert itself to a rapid heart rate of more than 200 beats per minute and then may be treated by administering medication to the mother. This medication reaches the baby through the placenta and helps the heart rate to correct itself. Sometimes, the irregular heart rate may be consequent to the mother suffering from a disease called Systemic Lupus Erythematosus. This would need appropriate evaluation with blood tests on the mother and treatment of the mother. Very rarely the irregular heart beat is consequent to a structural defect of the heart of the unborn child. This would need evaluation with a detailed ultrasound scan including a special ultrasound scan called fetal echocardiography. If such a defect is found it would be wise to carry out a chromosomal analysis of the baby as well by amniocentesis or cordocentesis as many of the babies with these structural heart defects have extra chromosomes referred to as Trisomy 13, 18 21 or a deletion defect of chromosome 22. These chromosomal conditions have a grave outcome. Very, very occasionally the heart rate is irregular because of a poor placental function. This can be excluded or confirmed by an ultrasound Doppler examination. In essence, therefore, what is needed is an ultrasound scan which includes an anomalies scan, a fetal echocardiography and a Doppler study. If these are clear, there vis no cause for concern. The irregular heart rate by itself does not harm the brain formation, development or maturation. There is no specific food that makes the babies brain grow well

i am kinda scared i went to the doctors and they did a ultrasound and said my baby has a irregular heartbeat i am 3 months and one week what i am trying to say is from what you said there is really nothing to worry about with it