my aunt is 58yrs old she has a problem with hear heartbeat in her ear
We would like to know what is causing this.

carol jones

I have been reading that this means that there's a blood vessel near the ear and that the heart beats are actually blood flowing through the vessel.

For anyone that can hear their own heart beat in an unusual manner, or those that hear a whooshing sound... You need to get it checked out. It may be minor, like an ear infection. Or, it may be serious.

I have a friend who has this problem, as well. When he gets his neck adjusted it ends completely. If they find nothing, when your doctor investigates, then it may be your spine.

If you have a subluxation of the spine (especially in the neck) your artery may be affected causing the symptoms. See a chiropractor.

Additionally, you may have MVP of the heart; this will cause such symptoms. I have both (as well a more serious illness') and the combination can be very frustrating. However, the loud whooshing and heart beating sounds seem to only change when my neck is moved into a certain position, (or adjusted) and the position that helps it changes every time. I have a really unusual neck and an extra rib and vertebrae in my spine. However, the noise has become much worse the last year with no apparent cause aside from my blood pressure has been elevated more than normal even though it's not too high.

My hubby is a Chiropractor and is able to give some relief for the "noise" affected by my neck issues, but with MVP you often have similar symptoms that resonate more from the chest instead of the neck and ear.

It may be something much worse than a spinal issue or MVP and if you have insurance it's best to get checked. If either of the things I mentioned, you should have it checked anyway because both can at times have serious consequences when uncared for.

I have heard my heartbeat since August--mostly in the left ear/sometime in right ear. My GP said fluid-took antihistamines--no result; EENT tested hearing--good-- said pressure imbalance, suggested a tube insertion through eardrum; I decided to get another (third) opinion. Will make another appt. today. When exterior sounds are louder--I do not notice the whooshing; when all is quiet as in reading or trying to go to sleep I hear it all too well. I know a chiropracter so I shall call him for his opinion. Thanks for that idea.

I have had this problem of whooshing in my right ear and hearing my heartbeat for over 12 years. I am 63 years old. When it first started to occur, my primary care doctor referred me to an ENT. He couldn't find anything wrong. Here it is July 2008 and I'm still having the same problem. My new primary care doctor sent me for an ultrasound behind my right ear and also did an abdominal ultrasound and an MRI to make sure I didn't have any aneurysms there. He got the results back that there was nothing wrong. I know what you mean about the noise. It drives me crazy. If I want any peace and quiet, I put my finger on the artery below the ear and it seems to stop, but only when I put my finger on it. As soon as I release my finger, the pulse beat comes back. So, what am I supposed to do?

So pleased to find this post. And have realized that others have this whooshing in their ear/s. Mine is driving me crazy and I've only had it for 3 months. I did what kitty said, by placing my finger over the artery close to my ear and it stops. I have another gp appointment tomorrow so will mention it, but doubt there is anything they can do. just pleased ot know I'm not the only one

I have had vicarious experience with this through my mother. She experienced this and it was determined that plaque had built up in the artery behind her ears to the degree that it restricted normal blood flow to the brain. What she was hearing was the blood being shoved through the restriction under high velocity. This was a pre-cursuor to her experiencing a series of mini-strokes that eventually lead to her death.
NOT to be dismissed lightly!

I have been experiencing the whooshing in my left ear for only about the past week although I had it before but it went away,what scares me most is that 2 days ago I experienced some bad blurring peripherally around my left eye scared the c**p outta me! It lasted about 10 mins. too long! I notice too that moving my neck,plugging my ear,putting my finger on the pulse there helps alleviate it momentarily and I do not experience it when I lay down.A little info about me that may be useful:i'm 28 yrs. old,overweight with high blood pressure although I do treat it with medication and I also have edema in my legs(they swell with excess water when i stand or sit too long).

I also have had the sound of my heart beat, or whooshing in my ears. I know this may sound silly. Set up really straight. I used to have this problem. They put my zanax and well come to find out it was my posture. try it...

Could be a glomus tumor (usually benign, not malignant) in your ear or ear infection -- see your doctor for ear exam.

im 21 and in ok health (student living off dodgy food) and ive has this problem a few times before. However tonight it is sooooooo bad that I cannot sleep and am looking on forums like this one -_-

I am 66 years old and the heartbeat sound has come and gone my entire life. It was very prevalent as a child but it sounded then like a cat meowing.

It has recently returned and I am convinced that it is earwax on the drum that it in contact with a vein and transmitting the sound through conduction.

I have had tinitus for as long as I can remember, something like a 10 kHz whistle in both ears. My hearing is incredibly acute and I can even differentiate between a male mosquito and a female at 5 metres.

One thing that I have noticed is that the pulsing / heartbeat sound has only returned after diving into a pool and swimming underwater.

The problem is wax buildup!!! Something that seems so complex yet the solution is something so simple that you would have never guessed!!! About a month ago I experienced this wooshing sound in my left ear and boy did I freak out. Long story short, I used hydrogen peroxide in my ear like I would with that wax removing liquid stuff. Haha don't know the exact name but you know what I mean. And the hydrogen peroxide works so much better! In a matter of three-four days of using it my "wooshing" sound went away instantly! The thing is, you have an artery right next to your ear canal. Obviously why you hear the wooshing sound. It's your blood being pumped through the artery. If you have wax buildup deep in your ear canal, it can cause swelling and inflammation, bringing an increased amount of blood flow into the area. Not just that but when your ear canal swells from it, it obviously touches the artery or is just a lot closer so you can hear it. Just get rid of the wax and you'll be good. :) Mind you, I'm 14.

I had the same problem as you. I was in ENT and did several tests, and he told me that everything was ok. but I kept hearing a beat on my left ear. researching, I found this forum and read that it could be sinusitis, so I cleaned my room and my office (places I get most often) and went to sleep. When I woke up the other day, the beat had stopped. days later, I entered a dusty car and the beat back the same day. when I went to a clean place, hit was stopping gradually.
I did not go back to the ENT to see if I have sinusitis, rhinitis but I have, and found that the mucus rhinitis causes can go into the ear and cause beats.
I would like to thank everyone, because this forum helped me a lot. hope you heal up soon too, because no one deserves these beats hell.

Hi, Your symptoms are identical to mine, have you found an answer to this yet? Thanks Ian