Hello! My grandmother suffers form repeated urinary infections. She had five or six of them in last six months. She used to be very healthy person although she is sixty years old. She always feels pain while urinating and low-back pain. Her doctor usually prescribes Cipro for her infections but she told me yesterday that he prescribed Sulfsalazine as well. This combination is strange to me. Is there anyone else taking Cipro in combination with Sulfa for urinary tract infections?

Hi! I am afraid I have also never heard anything about such combination. As I know Cipro is indicated in the treatment of urinary tract infections caused by bacteria such as Escherichia coli, Proteus mirabilis, Enterococcus faecalis, or Staphylococcus saprophyticus. Sulfasalazine belongs to the class of medications called sulfonamides. This is an antibiotic used in treatment of urinary tract infections, shigellosis, pneumonia and some protozoan infections. As I know they both are used to treat urinary tract infections but not at the same time. Usually, when one of them isn’t working then doctors try with the other one. Maybe your grandmother misunderstood her doctor and I think you should check the information you got from her.